Quantcast

Pushfit soil pipe as dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

sumo2001

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2018
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
Newhaven
Hi
I want to use a mix of 110mm pushfit underground pipe and 110mm pushfit soil pipework as dust extraction with my SIP 3hp twin extractor what are peoples thoughts please?
I've got some soil pipe already just wanted to use underground fittings as half the price of solvent weld and can be taken apart easily if gets blocked.
 

Rorschach

Agent Provocateur
Joined
6 Jan 2016
Messages
3,606
Reaction score
59
Location
Devon
Go for it. I would do some basic earthing if it were me though, partly for safety, partly to stop me getting shocks.
 

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Joined
19 Jan 2013
Messages
2,236
Reaction score
67
Location
Southampton area
+1
For a 90 translation use two 45 degree bends or a so called "slow bend" from the underground range. Glue in 100mm plastic blast gates into pipe ends with foaming pu glue and the other side fits 100mm flexi to the machine perfectly.
Ignore anyone who tells you there is a static problem.
 

Rorschach

Agent Provocateur
Joined
6 Jan 2016
Messages
3,606
Reaction score
59
Location
Devon
Myfordman":tojxhbt7 said:
Ignore anyone who tells you there is a static problem.
You have never experienced a static shock from an unearthed system then? I have, from a PVC pipe setup, from my shop vac and from my sandblaster. Not pleasant at all, almost broke my leg on the sand blaster one.
 

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Joined
19 Jan 2013
Messages
2,236
Reaction score
67
Location
Southampton area
Rorschach":3ir32g1j said:
Myfordman":3ir32g1j said:
Ignore anyone who tells you there is a static problem.
You have never experienced a static shock from an unearthed system then? I have, from a PVC pipe setup, from my shop vac and from my sandblaster. Not pleasant at all, almost broke my leg on the sand blaster one.
No I have not had any shocks from a system with 20 odd metres of horizontal runs 8 vertical drops and an unearthed metal cylone and steel collection bin that has been installed for 15 years or so.
furthermore there is nothing to earth in a plastic system.
maybe you should earth the machine that gave you the shocks
 

Rorschach

Agent Provocateur
Joined
6 Jan 2016
Messages
3,606
Reaction score
59
Location
Devon
Myfordman":1h31flne said:
No I have not had any shocks from a system with 20 odd metres of horizontal runs 8 vertical drops and an unearthed metal cylone and steel collection bin that that been installed for 15 years or so.
furthermore there is nothing to earth in a plastic system.
maybe you should earth the machine that gave you the shocks
No of course, you are right, I must have imagined it. It impossible that someone could have a different experience and offer an alternative viewpoint.
 

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Joined
29 Jul 2018
Messages
3,443
Reaction score
267
Location
Pembrokeshire
Not to contradict you Myfordman as you know more about electrical pixies than I ever will, but I've had a couple of shocks from a PVC pipe extraction that was hooked up to a 12" thicknesser before, nothing seriously major but enough to give you a jolt to wake you up. If you were planing full width you could feel the static about three inches away from the pipe and it would make your arm hair stand on end, once replaced with a steel spiral duct there wasn't an issue anymore. That was the only pipe in the system that was PVC too, the rest was already spiral duct and this was a temporary fix with a 6ft length of duct.

You do see people wrap copper wire around PVC pipes in a spiral as a way of earthing the system or somehow stopping the static escaping, again, no idea whether it works or not.

Whether the stuff about dust explosions due to the static is quite true I don't really know.
 

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Joined
19 Jan 2013
Messages
2,236
Reaction score
67
Location
Southampton area
Having seen a few posts over the years about shocks I've even tried to get shocks off mine to no avail.
All I can say is the outside of the pipe runs do get a bit dusty as do the walls near the pipes but i can hold onto both pipes and the metal cyclone and not get a the slightest tickle.
 

Rorschach

Agent Provocateur
Joined
6 Jan 2016
Messages
3,606
Reaction score
59
Location
Devon
Myfordman":3tzoypes said:
Having seen a few posts over the years about shocks I've even tried to get shocks off mine to no avail.
All I can say is the outside of the pipe runs do get a bit dusty as do the walls near the pipes but i can hold onto both pipes and the metal cyclone and not get a the slightest tickle.
So you have seen others mention it but because you have not experienced it yourself you dismiss them all and advise the OP that it is all nonsense. Very irresponsible.
 

SkinnyB

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2014
Messages
135
Reaction score
2
Location
West Sussex
Trevanion":h37yx8dw said:
Not to contradict you Myfordman as you know more about electrical pixies than I ever will, but I've had a couple of shocks from a PVC pipe extraction that was hooked up to a 12" thicknesser before, nothing seriously major but enough to give you a jolt to wake you up. If you were planing full width you could feel the static about three inches away from the pipe and it would make your arm hair stand on end, once replaced with a steel spiral duct there wasn't an issue anymore. That was the only pipe in the system that was PVC too, the rest was already spiral duct and this was a temporary fix with a 6ft length of duct.

You do see people wrap copper wire around PVC pipes in a spiral as a way of earthing the system or somehow stopping the static escaping, again, no idea whether it works or not.

Whether the stuff about dust explosions due to the static is quite true I don't really know.

Had a similar thing with my drum sander not too long ago. I was sanding across the grain full 500mm width probs 80grit (not something I usually do) and the static build up on the extract hose was intense. On the extract hose just above the sander you could feel it around the pipe long before you touched it. Bit of a shock when I first touched it.
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,223
Reaction score
59
Location
Northumberland
Myfordman":19k9bjlp said:
Having seen a few posts over the years about shocks I've even tried to get shocks off mine to no avail.
All I can say is the outside of the pipe runs do get a bit dusty as do the walls near the pipes but i can hold onto both pipes and the metal cyclone and not get a the slightest tickle.
I've had several systems over the years mostly based on u/g 110mm pvc as I could get them through my business at no personal cost and never in 40 years have had even a suggestion of static charge, that doesn't mean it can't happen to others, my wife for instance got static shocks getting in and out of some cars while I didn't so maybe some people are more susceptible than others.

Ignore karen, he's just starting up another argument because some of the others have died down, any one who says " almost broke my leg on the sand blaster one " is talking out of an orifice that isn't his mouth, you can't almost break a leg, you either do or you don't. I could say I almost got hit by a car this morning, at least I would have if I'd stepped out in front of it. :lol: :roll:
 

Mike Jordan

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
592
Reaction score
7
Location
Derby
Use the purpose made metal ducting, the blast gates, hanging brackets,and other things will fit together easily, it's fire resistant and won't generate static. It also avoids giving giving an insurance man an ideal excuse to blame you if the worst happens.
It won't cost very much more and it's a proper job rather than a slightly cheaper bodge.
 

MikeK

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2017
Messages
519
Reaction score
85
Location
Gernsheim, Germany
Mike Jordan":2icuysmx said:
Use the purpose made metal ducting, the blast gates, hanging brackets,and other things will fit together easily, it's fire resistant and won't generate static. It also avoids giving giving an insurance man an ideal excuse to blame you if the worst happens.
It won't cost very much more and it's a proper job rather than a slightly cheaper bodge.
I want to shop where you shop, or have some of what you're smoking. I outfitted my basement shop with 120mm purpose made metal ducting, blast gates, hanging brackets, and other things that fit together easily for the modest sum of €2,900. I transported and installed it, but a turn-key installation would have added another €1K to the price.

I am replacing my current system this year with 150mm pushfit drain pipe to take advantage of the 3HP blower, correct design mistakes I made, and improve the extraction. My cost to replace it with 150mm pushfit drain pipe, inlcuding the custom blast gates made for the pipe, is €525. The most expensive parts of the new ducting are the five blast gates I ordered from the States made to work with the drain pipe.

I decided on the new design after visiting a larger production shop near Heidelberg that has been using this type of pipe for over 20 years without any static buildup or fires. Since I asked specifically about any static buildup (none noticed), I'm sure the owner of the shop would have mentioned if he had nearly broken any limbs.
 

Rorschach

Agent Provocateur
Joined
6 Jan 2016
Messages
3,606
Reaction score
59
Location
Devon
Well it seems some have had static problems and some have not, it's not a simple equation it seems.

The measures to avoid the static for me were so easy and cheap it seems silly not to do it just on the offchance, the sandblaster being the simplest of all. I still have not manged to sort the shop vac problem though, when cleaning large amounts of fine shavings I still get the odd shock and can definitely feel the pipe taking a charge as the hairs on my arms are attracted to it.
 

Mike Jordan

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
592
Reaction score
7
Location
Derby
MikeK. I think you must be shopping at the wrong suppliers or someone saw you coming. The difference is not that big.
 

Mike Jordan

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
592
Reaction score
7
Location
Derby
Galzanized ducting in 125mm is approx £5.00 and a blast gate the same size is £20
Have a look at Dustspares site.
 

Latest posts

Top