Pub with no beer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I received an invitation to a jobs fair for the over 45's (I know, I don't look it - it's Palmolive, keeps me young-looking). So I tootled into town today to see.

I was met at the door by a SWT (Sweet Young Thing) who greeted me with the words (and I jest not), "Well we don't actually have any vacancies". Not a hint of irony. I just fell about laughing, which stopped a few conversations and turned a few heads, as it was a very small room. She seemed quite offended. She did, however, take me to another SWT who had lots of jobs (cleaner, baggage-handler, pot-washer, security). One bloke there was very helpful though. He and I could at least talk the same language, and made me a generous offer of help that he didn't have to. We'll see what happens.

I don't normally make New Year Resolutions, but this year I have actually decided that I'll move geographically if I have to. Don't want to, and weekly digs will eat up a chunk of my salary, but if that what it takes. Anyone know of any GPs who want a Practice Manager? You never know, I might end up near you!

Cheers
Steve

That's bad enough. My wife was job hunting before Christmas. She signed with 3 job agencies. The phone didn't ring. Followed up a bit later. "Of course Mrs Dart, we'll have something very soon"...<tumbleweed>....days pass....<another tumbleweed>...other check-in call...<lots of tumbleweed> etc.

Well, eventually through persevering, she found herself a new job. Now..still 3 months on, nothing, zilch, nada, absolutely not a squeak from any of the job agencies.

I class them as considerably less useful than leeches, and only slightly more useful than estate agents (apologies to any estate agents reading this - I'm joking..of course)

Ike

When my other half was made redundant by MG Rover, he registered with the Job Centre Plus and all the agencies. He attended loads of job fairs and got absolutely nowhere. We know of nobody who has found work as a result of the millions of pounds that were sunk into the employment system in the aftermath of MG Rover's collapse. Like so many of his peers, my other half found work by reading the ads in the local papers and chasing them himself.

I'm convinced that all these job agencies are there simply to employ otherwise unemployable people. Not only do they fail to find work for the unemployed, but they distract those who are actively looking for work.

Gill (trying very hard not to get political)

I class them as considerably less useful than leeches, and only slightly more useful than estate agents

I calss both in the same bracket - living in the cracks of society making what I consider to be the most un-ethical money you can make without actually breaking the law!

I have worked through lot's of agents as a computer contractor - and thankfullt now I am starting to get my clients direct on repeat business and word of mouth, but an agent who knows nothing of my business, or the clients business getting anything from 23% to 100% of my earnings for processing one invoice a month is daylight robbery no matter what way you look at it! And what really grates me is that they all pretend to be your best buddy while doing it, but don't know who you are if you phone up out of the blue!

(Sorry for the rant, I'm negociating my rate with a "friendly" agent today for one of the jobs I'm currently on!)

Les

Gill":3gqj0120 said:
I'm convinced that all these job agencies are there simply to employ otherwise unemployable people. Not only do they fail to find work for the unemployed, but they distract those who are actively looking for work.

Gill (trying very hard not to get political)

Gill,
Hear, Hear.
couln't have put it better myself.

Back