PSE vs regularised wood for desk top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

completelyclueless

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning on building a desk top by joining together some planks lengthways, probably using pocket joints.

I've been looking for some timber for delivery online and have found that regularised, C16/C24 graded timber is a lot cheaper than similar sizes of PSE and PAR timber and with this being my first project I don't want to blow the bank. My question is, how much variance in width is there in regularised timber compared to PSE?

Sadly I don't have access to any machinery that I can use to plane the timber myself and won't be able to fit it in my hatchback to take it somewhere else to get it planed. I'll be going for a slightly rustic look anyway, so I don't mind really tiny gaps in between the planks but nothing too crazy.

As a sidenote, the desk will be about 6ft in length; with this length of wood and no support in the middle, would C16/C24 graded timber be needed in any case to reduce sag?

Thanks

Regularised (More commonly known as CLS) will be whitewood and very difficult to work with due to it's very soft nature, it's also quite rough from the outset being a general construction timber and will require quite a bit of work to get it so that it will laminate together tidily.

PSE (Planed, Square Edge) will usually be a redwood and will be fairly easy to work with, since it's planed on all four sides it will be much easier to work with right from the outset.

It's best to go somewhere and pick out the straightest and defect free lengths in the yard but I understand that that's a bit of a luxury when you've only got a hatchback, Me and a mate picked up a couple of 3.6M lengths of CLS from a builders merchant once in an old Renault Clio by balancing the timber between the door mirror and the fuel cover while one was holding onto them out the window. Wouldn't recommend it! :lol:

completelyclueless":1vipuqu7 said:
Hello,

I'm planning on building a desk top by joining together some planks lengthways, probably using pocket joints.

I've been looking for some timber for delivery online and have found that regularised, C16/C24 graded timber is a lot cheaper than similar sizes of PSE and PAR timber and with this being my first project I don't want to blow the bank. My question is, how much variance in width is there in regularised timber compared to PSE?

Sadly I don't have access to any machinery that I can use to plane the timber myself and won't be able to fit it in my hatchback to take it somewhere else to get it planed. I'll be going for a slightly rustic look anyway, so I don't mind really tiny gaps in between the planks but nothing too crazy.

As a sidenote, the desk will be about 6ft in length; with this length of wood and no support in the middle, would C16/C24 graded timber be needed in any case to reduce sag?

Thanks
+1 for the earlier comments. Another point to bear in mind is that structural timber which is strength graded C16/24 is most likely to be pressure treated with preservatives - not great for dust or for indoor domestic furniture. I think that if you're planning to join boards (and I'd also suggest PAR redwood (scots pine) you are going to have to confront the need for a hand plane at some point - all timber moves about even after processing and storage in a woodyard.
Cheers W2S

CLS and regularised timber are construction grade wood, not joinery grade. It isn't seasoned. It'll shrink and twist and shake and cup and bow. It is nuts to even think about making a desk. The project will be an absolute disaster if you pursue this idea.

Thanks for all of the replies. I would have to be a fool to go against such an overwhelming consensus, so I'll try and borrow a van at the weekend to go and look for some PSE or PAR redwood. Good job I asked before hand.

Has anybody got experience with some of the large retailers such as B&Q and Wickes? Their prices seem to be cheaper than local timber merchants, but I wouldn't want to waste money on poor quality wood as I want the desk to last a long time.

Cheers

CLS is seasoned but the point is it is quick grown and whilst fine for studwork is simply too soft and generally nasty. NOT for furniture!
Use redwood.

Keep clear of B&Q and Wickes. Their stuff is renowned for being banana-like, and virtually unusable. It's often wrapped in plastic which holds it straight until you get home....

Back