• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Provisionally SOLD Axminster Morticer/bench drill AW16BM

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
(Click the image to see the album on Flickr; scroll down on this page for details and price)
This is the older version of Axminster's 2-axis, hobby morticer.

NOW PRICE REDUCED: I want £200. I can't go any lower than this - it's worth more to me to keep (apart from spouse pressure to rationalize!).

Cash on collection from BS9: sorry, I won't ship it (it weighs more than 42kg!) but you can try it out here if you want, before deciding.

A new-spec one is presently £295, but I am including about £150-worth of accessories, so it's ready to go on carcase work and even house-sized doors (with care!).

It has a complete set of accessories:
  • Set of three chisels and augers in a box 1/4", 3/8" 1/2" TiN-plated. 1/4" and 1/2" are not used apart from a test of the 1/2" one. The metric equivalents are around £67 new from Axminster #947751 (but the new ones are prob. better quality).
  • Extra 3/8" chisel+Japanese-pattern auger well used but very sharp. The Japanese pattern auger seems to work better than the European ones in the TiN set.
  • Sharpening kit with diamond plate. Wicked sharpness can be yours! (now £51 from Axminster, #700173).
  • Drill adaptor (£25 from Axminster, #400287). This is also well used (well-useful, innit!), the chuck scroll is worn - still good for general jobs, but a new one would probably be more precise.
  • Riser block kit (£8.50 from Axminster #950175). Useful for deep stock, but awkward to fit single-handed.
  • The correct, extra-length chuck key for the auger chuck (also fits the drill chuck)
  • A set of Allen keys for the various sizes on the machine (I have replaced the Bristol levers with stainless Allen bolts for the adjustments)
  • Setup tool from HM Royal Mint, complete with retention system (£0.02, widely available). Fishing line available separately.
It is complete (yes, I still have the manual). It's been fettled & works really well (used up to 1/2" in softwood).

There is slight surface rust on some components, but nothing serious (see the pics). All slideways, gib strips, etc. are well greased/oiled and rust free. It's also pretty clean and the gas strut is fine!

Note: The yellow/brown staining on the paintwork (in the pictures) is NOT rust! It's remnants of the heavy grease it was covered in for shipping. As I said, inspect thoroughly and try before you buy - you'll see what I mean.

I have made a casement, entire window frames and outdoor furniture with this, and I think it's brilliant. The two-axis table makes precise alignment very easy, and coupled with a bandsaw tenon cutting depth stop, the M+T task becomes fast and relatively easy.

If it doesn't sell here, it will be advertised locally. I won't be putting it on eBay, but there are a couple there now if you want to compare value...

Latest posts

Back