Protective Wax

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
It's quiet in here, too quiet.... :?

Anyway, thought this forum was crying out for a new thread so I decided to ask about dado blades....

No, no I mean paste wax.

Been reading some of the articles on the Lee Valley website and in one about plane care, it is recommended to give your plane a coating of paste wax.
Is this just a softer version of beeswax or similar?
If I don't have any to hand, could I use a coating of the clear Briwax that I have handy?
What else would paste wax be used for apart from protecting your nearest and dearest? :wink:

Paste Wax originally refers to a flooring wax from Johnston. Haven't seen the product for years, used to come in a flat tin. Briwax or similar is good. I use it on the cast iron tables and gives great protection and a slick surface. Works well on planes and chisels too.

Noel

Sound of wind whistling forlornly through the empty, eerie buildings. their dark windows looking down upon the unsuspecting galoot like wide sad eyes as he ... ahem... sorry, getting carried away there.

Thanks for the answers.
So any wax it is then, although from the article it seems best to avoid silicone.

Did someone say dado?
Carnauba wax works well too, it stays on a bit longer than paste wax. My favorite is camellia oil, but you have to apply it often if humidity is high (I hear the weather is very dry in England during the winter :lol: ). Around here you should avoid car wax which contains silicone.
Cheerio
Frank D. (not frank)

Latest posts

Back