Protecting MDF top from wood glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymien

Established Member
Reaction score
What would you suggest I use to protect my MFT MDF workbench top from wood glue? For example, if I want to assemble glue ups on the bench using a cam clamp, I want to avoid the pieces sticking to the workbench top whilst drying?

I'm assuming something like an MDF sealer? Would this work? Or would it be better to put a barrier in between, such as a plastic sheet or similar?

I have used in the past, Some cling film, the nearest supermarket carrier bag, Corex plastic sheet and baking parchment. All of them work, just some are easier to put down and stay down. In short, use a barrier

Linseed oil or Osmo etc. Then glue tends to be easier to scrape off without lifting the mdf.
But the main thing is to clean off wet glue everywhere - its easy to do with a wet cloth.

I bought a catering roll of baking paper and use this for all my glue ups now, just tear off how every much you need then throw away when done

You can wax MDF, but when you get some thick polythene bags as packaging cutting them open as bench protectors is something I wished I’d done years ago
Aidan

I have a couple of thick plastic sacks that I put over the table when I'm gluing up. DPM would be a great choice, I'm just using what I have.

I would still look to protect the surface, with wax or oil, but I'd think of that as a backup to the barrier

sorry but don't know what a cam clamp is. I have a piece of hardboard I put on mine when gluing or do you need access to the holes for the clamp?

As said wax or plastic.
Be careful if you use Osmo oil, paint or sanding sealer on mft tops.
It can cause the holes to tighten up so you can't get the dogs in. (Not fun )

Ollie

sorry but don't know what a cam clamp is. I have a piece of hardboard I put on mine when gluing or do you need access to the holes for the clamp?
I did't strike me until you said it, but I'm not quite sure what is meant by cam clamps here, obviously there are a variety of clamps that use clamps, In this situation I imagine we are either talking about cams that sit in the dogholes, and when twisted apply horizontal pressure, alternatively we could be talking about clamps that come up and over, applying downward pressure, either of these would need access to dogholes
1612175934420.png
1612176008413.png

Thank you all for the replies. I meant cam clamps that exert horizontal pressure, like the second photo on the post above.
I think I may actually have some DPM spare in the garage, and never thought to use that. Thank you!

Back