Protecting cedar cladding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just framed out the front of my sectional garage and added a new roller door and plan to clad the framework with cedar. I have previously used Osmo UV oil on cedar and like its appearance but I am a tad worried about it hardening off in cold weather. My father in law has recently treated a new cedar clad extension and the Osmo still feels tacky (Although I do think he may have put it on too thick anyway; he's a 'more is always better' kinda guy...).

Am I worrying about nothing or should I put something temporary up and wait to add the cedar in spring? Oh... the area to be clad is north facing so I don't even get the benefit of the sun hitting it...

Its not a huge area so I could always pre-treat the cladding and let it go off inside but is a less favourable option if it can be avoided.

Any advice welcomed...

^^^ What he said.

I clad the roof on my outdoor kitchen building in cedar shingles. They turn grey in a year and require no protection. The roof on the great barn at Great Dixter is shingled and they have been there for donkey's years.

it is true that it does not need treating, but it does not always fade to an attractive uniform grey and can go blotchy (particularly where water splashes back on to it).

I treated the cedar cladding on my garden office/workshop with Rystix Timbacare - looked good, and survived well in full sun for 4 years with just a light touch up in year 3 (I moved house after that so can't comment on how it coped after that!)

Yep, I know it doesn’t ‘need’ treating but I want it staying pink/orange rather than greying.

I guess my question should be “does Osmo cure off ok in these conditions, should I look at alternatives or simply wait until it warms up?”

I certainly wouldn't be using Osmo outside at this time of year. It also specifically states on the instructions not to use it on horizontal surfaces (it crazes and breaks down if you do).

When I was an apprentice the guy that taught me told me the only way that cedar will rot is to treat it!

Or if you want keep it a special colour do what Disney do.....keep changing it every few years.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

MikeG.":3mmif4q8 said:
I certainly wouldn't be using Osmo outside at this time of year. It also specifically states on the instructions not to use it on horizontal surfaces (it crazes and breaks down if you do).

Thanks for the response about ease of use of Osmo at this time of year. I'm not quite sure about the relevance of use on horizontal surfaces? My understanding is its not suitable for use on a surface that will collect water, but I could treat my cladding indoors, sitting it horizontally and install it to its final vertical position. Am I missing something?

Edit: Oh... I was surprised to read that you're supposed to let cedar weather for a few weeks prior to treating it...

Steve_Scott":2q5jxrwo said:
...... I'm not quite sure about the relevance of use on horizontal surfaces? My understanding is its not suitable for use on a surface that will collect water, but I could treat my cladding indoors, sitting it horizontally and install it to its final vertical position. Am I missing something?....

Yes. If you have any part of your exterior that has a horizontal element, perhaps around window openings, for instance, then this product is not suitable.

Earlier this year I fitted some Cedar boards, sanded to 180 grit
First coat was Boiled Linseed Oil and white spirit
Second; BLO, thinners and Danish oil
Third; BLO, D O and Tung Oil
Looks quite good
This picture was taken to show Blueberry bush

Might try to photograph Cedar tomorrow
IjUHExih.jpg

Back