Pros and Cons of a Table Saw based Router Table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
So no sooner is the end of getting my workshop starting to get in sight, I'm starting to think about what I could improve in it. One of the candidates is my router table setup.

I currently have a self-built "Norm style" mobile router table, but I've also got a Startrite 175 in the workshop, complete with all of the outrigger extensions.

In my head there is a fantastic router table opportunity here to put a table in the open area between the extension bars on the right hand side of the saw, which would give me a huge table area to use and a massive controllable width using the table saw fence (housing joints across a long piece? no problem!).

Has anyone else done/considered similar, and what are the pros/cons?

Cheers.

My router table is attached to the tablesaw. Best way to go in my opinion. Saves space, large table surface and the router fence clamps to the tablesaw fence. That is the pros and I really see few if any cons as you cant saw and rout at the same time anyhow.
Regards
John

Router on table saw is a great idea I think, one day I will get around to doing it on mine.

rafezetter":1j0u7ryk said:
OK my post was deleted with no explanation....

Perhaps it was timed out or you accidentally deleted it?

I have got a feeling there is a bug with the board as it has happened to me a couple of times.

If you respond to a post and someone else responds to the same post before you submit your response, one of them will disappear.

I haven’t proved it, but it might be worth playing with if a couple of people have got half an hour to spare.

rafezetter":1gxy3hw6 said:
OK my post was deleted with no explanation....

I had this happen several times and almost again just now. Does seem to be a case of other posts going live between you starting and finishing your reply. When you press submit - on my screen at least - it does appear to go live but when I scrolled up a bit I noticed a message saying there was one or more new posts and offered the chance to read those and revise my post afore posting.

Hope nobody minds if I bring this back on track. :wink:

I put a Lee Valley router table top insert into the extension table of one of my saws and when I get around to it I’ll put a second in the other. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 3053,43885

The advantages of the space saving, large surface and the fence are already mentioned.

The disadvantages would be if you don’t have an insert top you can pull out relatively easily, the router interferes with access to the saw’s innards because the door gets partially blocked. Also for the same reason, complicates dust collection. An auxiliary fence needs to be slipped over the saw’s fence for the dust collection and to contain the router bit when not using a bearing to control the depth of cut.

Pete

Latest posts

Back