Proof that we don't really need those mega expensive tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent. Didn't watch it all - saving it for later!
Could all be done similarly with our western kit but you see the benefit of having light-weight wooden tools - especially that one handed shooting plane.

Not watched all either but power tools etc have only ever sped up woodwork. The proof there not needed was years ago when furniture to the same quality as today was being crafted and they didn't have powertools.

Only watched the first one. I don't really get the Japanese way of woodworking. They seem to go about it in the most cack-handed way possible. I wonder how many times he's clobbered himself in the nether regions with that plane :shock: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Excellent, loved the karate bit after scoring both sides, wonder what wood it is - looks quite soft.

Roger,

The timber looks very much like Luan (Phillipine Mahogany). It's nice to work, but sometimes you get fluffy bits that tear-out a lot. Because it's soft, as you know, you'll need razor sharp tools.

I do see the point in the 'pull' stroke, making that mire cut across the dovetail. More control I'd think, even with the work cramped down as we do here. :)

Posted on the Haven a long time ago by Alf...still impressive though, but some of those Japanese planes (not necessarily the ones in the clips) will cost a lot more than £400, 'specially if it's one made by a master and it'll be set up to only plane one sort of timber - Rob

Back