Proof Reading Not Required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0103.jpg
    DSC_0103.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,695
  • DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,695
There is a plaque on a bus shelter in St Mary's, Isles of Scilly which reads...

"This shelter was erected in 1954 to commemorate the coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by the council of the Isles of Scilly..."

And I always thought it was the Archbishop of Canterbury!

Sign on the door to local petrol station.
"No dogs allowed" then in small print underneath "except for guide dogs"

Now I know guide dogs are intelligent but I don't think they can read!

Every year at about this time of year, the local council erect "official-looking" proper road signs along several country roads which run along beside small streams, etc. They're "proper" red triangle warning signs in the middle of which there's a picture of a frog in black.

Like the above poster re guide dogs, I've often wondered if the frogs around here understand these signs! For motorists they're useless as A) even at narrow country road speeds you get virtually no chance to see a frog on the road; B) even if you did it would be practically impossible to avoid him, and; C) as they're mostly out and about at night it's an even more impossible task to spot them before it's too late.

Am I daft, or is the local authority?

AES

AES":nt3up556 said:
Every year at about this time of year, the local council erect "official-looking" proper road signs along several country roads which run along beside small streams, etc. They're "proper" red triangle warning signs in the middle of which there's a picture of a frog in black.

Like the above poster re guide dogs, I've often wondered if the frogs around here understand these signs! For motorists they're useless as A) even at narrow country road speeds you get virtually no chance to see a frog on the road; B) even if you did it would be practically impossible to avoid him, and; C) as they're mostly out and about at night it's an even more impossible task to spot them before it's too late.

Am I daft, or is the local authority?

AES

or are they pandering to the local eco warriors (who's vote is very important) :)

QUOTE:
or are they pandering to the local eco warriors (who's vote is very important) :)
UNQUOTE:

Maybe, most of our politicians here are about as daft as a brush - just like everywhere else I've lived really!

@phil.p:

What's a bat corridor please?

AES

mindthatwhatouch":1mqo5nhp said:
Sign on the door to local petrol station.
"No dogs allowed" then in small print underneath "except for guide dogs"

Now I know guide dogs are intelligent but I don't think they can read!

hahaha -I'd take a dog in and if the person says "hey no dogs allowed" - turn round and say, "he's a guide dog".

when they say "no he's not" (because of the breed)

I'd say "well he thinks he is, so are you going to tell him that, or should I?"

He's entitled to his "ethnicity", surely? :D

I've just read this beauty - Find the error in the punctuation of the sentence -
We submitted the proposal last week, however, we have not received approval yet.

The answer given is to remove the first comma. ??????????????????
That was from an American firm selling courses on professional ... dah dah dah dah dah da ... yes, you've guessed ... syntax and punctuation for publication. :lol:

A local establishment has a sign advertising "complimentary medicine". They had the whole shopfront redone a year or so ago, still wrong.

Well, I say wrong. Maybe they don't charge for it, or maybe they sell bottles of linctus that say "My, you're looking handsome today" when you remove the cork.

Back