projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Anyone finished any projects/ started recently, just finished 2 fire places today and started a hifi unit. Must admit i am pretty pleased with myself only took 6 hours each, but there is no finish on them as my mate wants his wife to see them in before she decides what she wants to finish them with. My guess is wax as she waxes everything made of wood in the house :lol:

Ahoy there AP,
Let's be having them there treasure maps,
ya scurrilous dog. Yarr :roll:

Aye,aye Cap'n TX

(I knew there was a good reason AP :wink: )

AP

Real nice design and finished job. :)

IMO, enough detail without making them overly ornate and adding loads of mouldings etc.

Jeff

I just finished a small hall table for some friends that I'm quite pleased with. The photo is not the best as the colour is much more uniform in real life than it looks in the picture. It's about 30"w x 30"high x 13"deep (my friend's spec.) and follows the pattern of a Stickley table from a catalog, I sort of made it up from there. They wanted a table but as I'm trying to do learn new things I added the drawers which made it a bit more interesting. Last autumn I did a dovetailing/drawer making course and I wanted to put the learning into practice.

It's the first piece I've ever done for anyone else (actually my 4th ever!) but I decided that it's a good way to raise my game.

Picture's here if anyone's interested: http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/colin_ ... m=741a.jpg

the second page in my photo collection is a small box with a dovetailed carcase that I made last winter as a follow-on from my drawer course to practice dovetailing:
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/colin_ ... pg&.src=ph

It's not a design classic - just a box! It was a useful practice for the table. I just decided it needed a finish so last weekend I gave it a few coats of white polish and some wax. It's ripple sycamore and walnut and the effect of the sycamore sadly doesn't really show in the photo.

If only I had more time!!

regards

Colin

Very nice colinc bet theres a few hours in that table it does look great. Some photo's dont always do a piece justice but they look like good to me nice contrast in the wood too.

AP

Nice work. The new workshop cerainly seems to assist your production rate. It must be nice to have the room to display them side by side.

Colin

Really like the Stickley style table. Its a style I'm very fond of myself. If you didn't have dimensions for the stock in the catalogue I think you have done well to get the proportions right. I takled something similar a while back a sort of Frank Lloyd Wright inspired desk that I made up after seeing a picture of a FLW inspired desk (if you see what I mean). Similar sort of idea with the side slats. It ended up a lot chunkier than I had originally intended although I was not entirely unhappy with the outcome.

Did you make money on this, cover costs or was it a gift?

Roy

AP,

Those are great looking fire surrounds - chunky as requested but with nice proportions. They would indeed look great with a little more decoration - say some carved volutes on the corbels ( I haven't even practiced one of those yet :roll: but I know what I want to be able to do..)

Colin,
That is very good work. The dovetails especially look beautifully clean and well executed - must have been a good course and a good pupil!

ColinC......Those are great looking dovetails fella.....is it possible to let us all know a little more about the course?

As for projects finished, well most of you know that I've just completed a large oak dining room table.

As for starting new projects, I'm in the process of building another internal door and I'm waiting for the next delivery of oak so I can make a mirror to match the new dining room table.

Cheers

SimonA

They look super AP, 6 hours each?? it would take me that to get my wood organised :)
Very nice indeed Colinc - those dovetails look great.
John

WS it probably would have taken 11 hours to make 1 but its not that much extra work to prep the 2" stock for 2 identicle projects. Assembly time was about 1 hour for both and once they get a finish on them i think they will look ok as the grain on the douglas fir was very nice and the price was pretty good too :D
Also thanks to everybody else for your kind words and chris i'll have to get my carving and sharpening orders in before you get too busy :wink: .
Would like to see other peoples projects too no mater how small, would rather see a project than a photo of a large pile of tools :p

Hi all,

Roy,

I didn't do it for money - I'm not that good, it was for friends who paid for the wood and then generously sent me a large book voucher that's gone towards a few classic texts! I have only just re-started woodwork after a 30 year break and am happy doing a few things for friends for the pleasure of it, whilst learning along the way - I earn my crust in computing and just like the contrasts in the jobs.

Chris et al,

I'll accept the complement about the dovetails although truly I think I'm just a lucky beginner - those were the first I'd done on my own - I have no idea how they came together so well.

My teacher was Andrew Dumolo who works at the Ferrers Centre near Ashby-de-la-Zouch (Leics). He seems to keep a low profile but is a master craftsman. He doesn't seem to have a web site but runs a few weekend courses during the autumn/winter and I have to say he's an excellent teacher. I went on a 2-day (weekend) drawer making course that might sound mundane but taught me so much!! We covered drawer making and fitting and I left knowing that I might possibly one day do the job properly but at least knew what the standard was - can't ask for more. If anyone wants more details on courses let me know and I'll sort out his number. I met him last weekend and spoke about courses and I think that, work permitting, he's game for more this year.

regards, Colin

tx2man":zthzzdlq said:
Ahoy there AP,
Let's be having them there treasure maps,
ya scurrilous dog. Yarr :roll:

But TX, mate. International Talk Like A Pirate Day be next Sunday.

Yarr...

Martyn

Back