Projects around the house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadboog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, it's been a loooong time since I posted project (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/christmas-t46565-15.html), but I haven't given up woodworking! Just getting my head back into some smaller projects after spending a decent amount of time learning to do some finishing work on my house. No WIPs I'm afraid, but here's what I've been up to:

Alcove Shelves

'Floating' MDF shelves (strong framed boxes):

Alcoveshelves.jpg

Mantle surround

Had a real headscratch with what to do with this open fireplace, as I'd 'dot and dabbed' plasterboards onto the brickwork, leaving gaps on the reveals. Without the tools, skills or finance to make a solid wood surround, I built the following out of MDF and then added oak veneer over the top. The result hid the reveals whilst not protruding too far into the room (I've since given it a few coats of beeswax):

Mantle.jpg

Built in radiator box / windowsill

Again out of MDF and based on a design of a smaller unit we bought from B&Q. Managed to replicate the design almost entirely. This took a fair few days but I was satisfied witht he result. Have since painted it white (sorry the pic is not so good quality):

Radbox.jpg

This kind of work got me into woodworking out of necessity a few years back. Next projects include home-made router table, drill press and disc sander before moving on to wood gear clocks. No workshop :cry:

Attachments

• Alcoveshelves.jpg
    Alcoveshelves.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 1,717
  • Mantle.jpg
    Mantle.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,698
  • Radbox.jpg
    Radbox.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 1,699
Very nice job on all of them, done an excellent job on the radiator cover with limited tools. Your only mistake is that you've shown the final pictures and no wip pictures. We like to see the saw dust being made!

Thanks Chems - its one of those things I always seem to remember after I've finished the job :roll: Will try to remember next time :lol:

Nice work Jad.

I wish I could persuade SWIMBO that we need radiator covers, but she doesn't like them! For the same reason I can't build-in open shelves, painted white!
I suppose I'd better get on with the fire surround then. Those she doesn't mind... :D

Shame - what is the approved alternative to built-in open shelves? I think I managed to persuade my wife given the sizes of the alcoves and the lack of affordable alternatives! SWIMBO? She Who Must Be Obeyed Indoors ? Love it.

The alternatives to open shelves are:

No shelves at all, or side panels with face frame and double glazed doors; preferably with some kind of patterned, obscuring glass. She thinks books look untidy; which with my library corner, is probably correct! (homer)

SWMBO She Who Must Be Obeyed. (From some TV Series with an actor named Leo Kern. I think (Rumpole of the Bailey according to Wiki pee.)
SWIMBO She Who Instantly Must Be Obeyed (A split infinitive I know, but it makes sense when I say it..... Or else! ) :lol:

Tony is correct.

I put in the letter 'I' because it sounded better than SWMBO doesn't really scan as Swimbo. So in my version, the 'I' stands for Instantly!
Seems that way at times too! :lol:

Well Jad,

In my experience it's 'er Indoors who is actually SWMBO, or SWIMBO!
Either way, upset the can, and you better stand from under!

:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back