Project No.2... DVD Wall Shelf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
As with the Library/Ladder Chair I posted a while back, I actually completed this project back in the long, hot summer of 2005.

Again, it's based on a project I discovered in one of my many, many woodworking books; The World's Best Storage and Shelving projects (Best of Popular Woodworking Magazine - yes, it's American).

In America, this would be referred to as a "Craftsman Wall Shelf" I believe. You can find hundreds for sale if you search it on Google in fact... The original (in this book) was made from cherry, which is a bit to steep for a beginner like myself I feel, so I decided to get some trusty old redwood and go from there. Plus, I don't know of anywhere in the Bristol area that sells Cherry and such. Perhaps Robbins or Clarks - maybe someone can enlighten me for future reference?

55488398-eed0-02000180-.jpg

I made quite a few changes from the given design to suit my needs. This was simply gonna be to store my ever-growing DVD collection - that would be the main attraction to others, whatever. And it does that very well. I was extremely pleased with how parallel and square everything was. The spacings for the DVDs was spot on also. Not too tight; nice clearence. :D

One thing I don't like is the off-centre 'dip' in the very top rail. It was meant to be convex but, er, I got a bit too close to the line with my jigsaw and... well, I'm sure you've all done it once before anyway!! :lol:

To meet my requirements also, I had to enlarge the shelf to suit the size of a standard DVD; I think it's 48 across and they're 190mm high. Looking back at it now, I reckon I should've increased the width of each rail top and bottom to suit.

55488403-94c8-02000180-.jpg

Here you can see the shelves simply slide into a groove run across each side piece - something Norm would call a dado. :roll:
I thought it was fine at first, but I now wish I'd have instead stopped the groove back 30-40mm earlierto hide the joint. :(
Still, I think I did a pretty good job considering I don't own a mitre/chop saw of any kind and cut all the 20mm grooves freehand with a router and 16mm cutter (by which, I mean without the aid of a straightedge guide! :wink: )

55488409-0c1e-01800200-.jpg

Why I used dowels here, I'm still not quite sure! I guess I thought it would look quite attractive in contrast with the knotty redwood... :oops:
In the book they used through mortice and tenons, with the exposed end grain chamfered slightly. Had I been using a hardwood, I'd have probably done the same. But they then pinned each tenon with the tiniest of dowels through the centre of the sides' thickness - I don't think I have any dowels small enough for that.

The rails top and botton and mortice and tenoned as per normal, only I haven't shown this in a photograph. And to hang it, a simple keyhole cutter did the job round the back before applying I think three coats of Liberon Tung oil.

It was simple, it does it's job effectively and it didn't take much time at all. And the finished-size timber still decided it was time to cup only one day before I was intending to start! But I made it work. :D

Thanks for reading this, I can only apologise for the quality of some/all of these photos as, well, I basically don't quite know how the to get the very best from my cheap digital camera. But I should be getting a full-size tripod fairly soon, that can of Fosters last night probably didn't help!! :lol:

Thanks again, I think this kind of project is ideal for someone only just getting started. It can equally be as much fun to someone a little wiser, with the chance to remould it with their own ideas, it's so simple.

-----

One of my future projects this year will be to create a rather traditional interior panelled timber door to replace the horrible, cheap thing I have now (the previous owners took all the good stuff with 'em! :x ).

If anyone can tell me where I might find some plans and any suggestions of timber to use (pine) please let me know, I'd be very grateful.

Looks good to me, another project for me to steal, if i ever get round to doing any :lol:

Matt.

Thanks guys! :D

Ever since I finished this shelf, I've walked into every room in our house and seen endless oppurtunirties for more of the same - but better!
(Yes, that includes the bathroom! :wink: )

Anyone have any ideas on panelled doors?
Come to think of it, I did a full-scale drawing for one in college last year, only it got carelessly destroyed when the faculty changed buildings.

dedee":e2y4ra68 said:
Your woodwork skills are definitely better than your photography :lol:

Andy

Heh, thanks! :D

I tried photgraphing my brand new (old) Stanley plane earlier but upon closer inspection what's further off in the distance is perfectly clear while the same simply cannot be said for the object I'm actually trying to show off! :shock:

Back