Project ideas for old oak planks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siglazier

Reaction score
I have ten of these planks and the dimensions, to give respect to the makers in imperial are 6'6'', 4'', and 1/2 inch thickness. So 2000mm by 100mm (ish) by 12. I have no idea what I can do with them. I was thinking at first as a coffee table top but as they are only 12mm thickness that wouldn't work for a table top. I think historically they were floorboards going on what I see as the the nail holes but on the other hand wouldn't they have been too thin to be flooring?
I don't want to touch any of the finish or patina of them so I wanted to get any opinions from the forum on what they could be used for. Any ideas for a project idea would be great.
1627420371842.png

You could glue them to a ply/mdf backboard to give a suitable thickness and edge with a with a oak band all round to hide the ply/mdf

Depending on the size of the coffee table 12 mil isn’t too thin really, I did a job recently reusing/repurposing old beams from barns, – Under instruction as I thought it was a heap of doodoos, but seemed to turn out ok, but the mindset required wasn’t mine!

It would be nice to use as is to make the most of the patina, even reusing the nail holes if possible. so yes, table top with suitable frame underneath to line up where the joists originally went so you can reuse the nail holes, ledge door, rustic picture/mirror frame, small bookcase, may have enough to make a child’s adirondack chair?

Latest posts

Back