Project for the missus?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

As some may remember I'm not much more than a begginer myself and have learned a lot from some of the old sweats on here :)
Despite this I'm trying to teach the wife how to turn now (keep the giggling down at the back!). With a roughing gouge she managed to get a decent cylinder out of the bit of old beech I threw on the lathe. The problem is, now what? Any suggestions for simple projects for someone learning to turn between centres?

Cheers all,

Mick

Duiker":61h7jl0h said:
Hi All,

As some may remember I'm not much more than a begginer myself and have learned a lot from some of the old sweats on here :)
Despite this I'm trying to teach the wife how to turn now (keep the giggling down at the back!). With a roughing gouge she managed to get a decent cylinder out of the bit of old beech I threw on the lathe. The problem is, now what? Any suggestions for simple projects for someone learning to turn between centres?

Cheers all,

Mick

Hi Mick....as a newbie myself, I was stuck doing nothing but spindle work for a while. Everything on this page is done between centres. Fruity shapes wooden fruit if she's clever) general ornamental shapes, a candle stick (the rings are easy as well and you impress yourself if it works if no-one else) a weedpot, goblet was a it more difficult but was done using a jam chuck.

Hope this give you some idea.

Pete

edit added: there is a load of projects here, many of them done between centres.
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turnin ... jects.html

Goeden middag,mij vrolijke vriend - where have you been ?(diving ? :lol: )
I've also made lightpulls,egg-cups,rattles and a gavel (auctioneers hammer) between centres.
Or just practice doing coves and flutes (hours of fun.. :wink: )

Andrew

Dare I suggest a carrier bag handle for use when shopping?! :lol: :lol:

(1/2 bead each end to retain, followed by a cove for the handle and then something nice to hold in the centre).

hi mick
i would sugest a candle stick for starters mate with flowing curves just something simple that will be fun to turn and nice to look at when finished.
leave all that fancy stuff for later on and just have fun and get a feel of the tools and different timber . :D

Back