Project Desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if thats due to the fibers that make up the bamboo, we've got bamboo cutting boards and sharp knives dont touch them!!

No, the bamboo is o.k. - it's the varnish that's hard. It's the wooden equivalent of cast iron - set the iron to go under the skin, rather than through it is the only way. Still blunts the iron, though
A half sheet sander went through it's own area before the paper was thrown away, I couldn't burn it off, and paint stripper didn't even soften it!

Ah sorry, I miss read your previous post... sounds like a nightmare to strip back! There is a fine coat of varnish on the blocks I have, comes off fairly easily with plane or sander though, getting the bitumen off is a mare and a messy job.

Project desk is on the back burner for a little while, have a couple of different suppliers lined up for the parquets, but am still waiting for them to get mack to me ... understandably they want to sell job lots (5sqm min for new stuff) not just a square meter or two ... which is a shame as I have seen some beautiful stuff around. We'll see.
In the mean time I'm working on hand carved american black walnut alphabet blocks for my daughter ... shes only three months old but I just cant help myself :D

Back