Project database

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I was sat here today after tidying up the workshop and struggling for inspiration of what i might make next.

Sat in the corner of the garage are all the 100+ magazines that i have bought through the years, which started me browsing and thinking. Why don't i use Microsoft access to catalogue all the projects.

Magazine name
Issue
Page
Project
Description
etc

Time consuming i think, but perhaps useful. Need to learn the ins and outs of access.

Whatdya all think? worth it or a waste of time?

Aidan

Good idea, but I would avoid using MS Access, it's only a simple database so why not use Works for Windows Database, everybody's got that 'cos it comes free with Windows. That way you will be able to swap database files with everybody instead of just rich people
John

Sounds a good idea Aidan, although if you are more familiar with Excel it can be simpler to use and just as easy to get info.

A big plus if you use MS Access or Mysql is it can be uploaded to the web easily and made public to everyone with a browser.

If you want I can make a mysql database where you can add entrys online. Just contact me with the fields you want and I'll get on to it :)

Thanks for the replies.

I have started to enter them into excel (10 down loads to go) with the intension of importing into MS access 2002 when i have the list. Seemed to have a problem with creating directly in access as it said i had a visual basic error when trying to start a new database. I tested import and all seems well.

I have used the headings

Magazine
Issue/ date
Indoor/outdoor/workshop
project title
description

Hopefully i shall be able to create a search facility after importing so for instance i can call up all coffee table entrys.

maybe after your help Charlie, we will see how we get on.

Ok back to it.

Aidan

John,

sorry but Access is a far more powerful porduct than works.

Works is essentialy cut down version of the office suite, with its own file formats that is readable by just about nothing :(

Sorry IT Hat off...

Aidan if you want any help feel free to give me a shout.

Signal

Aidan,

You can also do just as many "sorts" in Excel as you can do in Access if you wish.

Well so far so good,

Got in from work this evening and still bashing away. Entered about 20 magazines or so and have got up to 161 records so far. daren't go out to the garage to see the big piles left to do in there, or the ones in my bedside cabinet :shock:

Who's idea was this anyway :wink:

So far i have been using excel as i know what i'm doing. We will worry about the database systems when the pile has been exhausted...........Ahh well break over, nose to the grindstone etc, etc

Aidan

Post your Excel format, so that we can all start looking thru the mags at home and contribute to your Dbase.
:D

I Will indeed post in excell and access. I'll wait for a bit untill i have the rest of them entered in.

It will be alot easier for you to delete magazines that you dont have than to enter a whole load of records :D

Aidan

Back