Project advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceghost

Reaction score
Hi all, beginner here hoping to get some advice!

I've attached a picture of a metal fence that I'd like to recreate in wood. I'm only copying the design, not the function, as mine will be going outside as a garden fence. My questions are:

1. I'm struggling to get hold of wood of the right size - approximately 25mm square. I've learned over time that if something simple seems very difficult it's usually because I'm trying to do something wrong! What should I be looking for when trying to source external use timber of these dimensions?

2. What sort of joint would be most appropriate for this project? This is a decorative fence so doesn't need to be super-robust.

Thanks in advance. I promise to follow up with photos of the finished thing if I get that far :D

Attachments

• adf.jpeg
    adf.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
If the image shows simply the metal version and you wish to make a wooden version for the same purpose then I suggest that the statement " This is a decorative fence so doesn't need to be super-robust." is very wrong. It looks to be a barrier to protect anyone falling down the open stairwell so will need to be robust enough to withstand someone falling against it at least.

To get timber in 'real' size you will have to ignore the sheds (B&Q et al) and find a supplier of hardwoods - Oak, Beech etc. who will machine to your specification. It might be better to look at the likes of Richard Burbidge or Stairparts Direct -- at least for the handrail part.

It looks to me as if you need at least two different sizes, one for the top, bottom, end and corner and another for the infill staves.

Thanks for your reply. I should have been clearer, I'm only copying the design. It won't be protecting a stairwell, in fact it's going in the garden. To make it simpler I was intending to use the same width/height timber throughout so I'll have a look at the two places you recommended.

Ah.... on re-reading (and your input!) I can see what you are trying to do.

I don't think Burbidge et al will fit you bill - they are high end hardwood stairparts people.

If you have a local (ish) (You don't indicate your location better than 'UK') wood-yard you could ask them for PAR 'Redwood' at 25mm sq. and they might be able to supply.

As far as 'joints' are concerned, if you are using only one size the simple half-laps would probably be the easiest. Even for the horizontal spacing pieces which give accent to each 'panel'.

I'm in Cornwall so I'll have a look around, there's Timber Merchants Cornwall - Penstraze Sawmill for example.

As a beginner I'm broadly familiar with a few different joints including the half-lap, I guess finding out how and where they should be applied is half the fun! Likewise using things like nails or screws and things like pocket holes for example

For your current project I wouldn't consider nails or screws and pocket holes are for very different jobs :)

Pentraze look to be the sort of outfit that will provide what you need. I'm sure they will be very capable in advising exactly what timber - and possible treatment - you should use. Just give them as much detailed information as you can.

Are you going to cut all the joints by hand? or do you have a Table or Mitre Saw available?

I’ve got a circular saw but not a table or mitre so was planning on trying to do this with hand tools. I take it the joints could just be glued?

That's what I would do - since it's outside, probably Titebond III.

By the time you've cut all those you should be 'proficient' :)

I think that I would first make a jig from thin Steel sheet (or maybe Aluminium) for the set of five uprights - that way you'll get all the joints to the same depth and position relative to each other.

Handrail as per typical stair way would protect the top of the balusters from weather but at the bottom they need to be attached sideways on to a rail rather than vertically in to a rail, which would be a water trap.
It could look very similar.
I'd use redwood, brass screws (not nails it looks a bit delicate) and paint with linseed oil paint.
The other critical detail is how you weather the posts at the bottom.

Local sawmill only does 50mm as the smallest, I found some 22mm square stuff but it's untreated pine - I wonder if I can do something with that?

Local sawmill only does 50mm as the smallest, I found some 22mm square stuff but it's untreated pine - I wonder if I can do something with that?
Getting a bit flimsy. You need to finish at 25mm or more. Got to be top quality US ("un sorted") redwood at the very least

If its just for decorative purposes,I would consider 25 mms marine or exterior plywood.You can cut the strips on your circular saw,use lap joints which you can cut on the saw too.

Back