Progress, courtesy of the UKW Challenge!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Reading Boysies post earlier made me have a flick through the Challenge archives and the results are .. mmm interesting!
I guess this is a history of my turning, I was given the lathe Xmas 2010, got the Keith Rowley book shortly after that, then found UKW and the rest is, as they say, history!

Definitely some progress in the turning (its no longer poke and pray :mrgreen: ), not so sure about the photography though.

The first item, a candlestick was one of the first things i ever made in anger and definitely the first thing i had the courage to post a picture of on the forum
I think I have definitely gone from :oops: to :) to :D and every now and then 8) but always a :mrgreen:

From my first entry to the last (so far)...

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

and my personal favourite 8)
wooden-car-side1.jpg

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Only had lathe for a couple of weeks.
If I can get as good as that I'll be well chuffed.

Looking at other peoples work makes me realise how many large bags of shavings will be produced before I will get the results I want!!!

M

Nev,

I think that is a very good display of how much you have improved over approx. 2 years. Some of your more recent turnings are definitely classy work.

I feel that I, too, have improved since I started just over 2 years ago - but I'm not brave enough to put my early efforts on public display!!

That Is What id call electrifing simply gobsmacked at the different styles
regards
Bill

A really productive couple of years Nev. It's seeing what people like you have achieved since you started that gives me the enthusiasm to keep trying. I'm still firmly in the expensive hamster bedding camp at the moment. :lol:
Some really nice work there. Love the motor car. 8)

Great post Nev, you can really see the progress there. I am sure new turners will be much encouraged by that sequence, I have certainly enjoyed seeing your recent creations.

I think if you keep a record of your efforts in some easily viewed form it serves as a very sound personal reference.
Not only to be able to see improvement in form or complexity tackled as a boost to the enthusiasm but also as a reminder of the trials and tribulations along the way and how you overcame them or provide food for thought on how to tackle the same next time if you have not already solved the problem.
It was the reason for my "bits and pieces" files, started mainly because I was so used to being able to pick up reference records when I lived in the world of having a Day Job.
With me, now that I have quite a few "experiments" under my belt the 'reminders' also serve to hone down the time wasting or none cost effective, in terms of glues/finishes etc. attempts to salvage a lump of wood, there does come a time when the scraps bins need some rigorous attention.

Good on Ye, NEV. your picture takin has improved immensely :lol: :lol: :evil: :twisted: .

Seriously that is the kind of exercise I had in mind when I suggested that a Month might be set by for every member of the forum to show their skill and way of thinking in the turning of a piece.

After all those that enter now are letting their work be judged alongside other turners whether they be beginners or established turners .

Of course some might think they were sparing the feelings of others ,or that it would not be fair to enter their work because they would win every month . But this can be just a one off monthly competition or a regular part of the forum challenge If the organizers decided so . After all it is not easy to win the first prize in the UKW turning challenge.

So what do you think people are you up for a one off all turners in challenge .

So Nev. Blister. Hudson. CHJ. and everyone else involved in the organizing what do you think .I have partially dug thee Hole :roll: :roll:

boysie39":2ps4cv7s said:
Good on Ye, NEV. your picture takin has improved immensely :lol: :lol: :evil: :twisted: .
Gee Thanks :cry:

Seriously that is the kind of exercise I had in mind when I suggested that a Month might be set by for every member of the forum to show their skill and way of thinking in the turning of a piece.
Sorry Eugene, I'm not quite sure what you mean? (can you give us an example?)

So what do you think people are you up for a one off all turners in challenge .

The challenge is already open to all comers or do you mean separate classifications for novice, expert etc? That could lead to a whole heap o' worms deciding who goes in which class etc and it would mean a lot more work for the judges.

Sorry Nev. I think it would be better to forget about it . Maybe I am not the right person to suggest this as I dont turn anymore .

What I should have suggested was that on one month an OPEN competition be run for all to enter .No grading or grouping .The best turning wins.

when the challenge was first mooted some of the Pro's and semi Pro's didn't think it was fair of them to enter .

All I ment was for one Comp. in the year those people should be invited to enter so that we could see what the gap was now.

PS your turning has jumped forward.

boysie39":20xs0cd6 said:

when the challenge was first mooted some of the Pro's and semi Pro's didn't think it was fair of them to enter .

All I ment was for one Comp. in the year those people should be invited to enter so that we could see what the gap was now.

PS your turning has jumped forward.

Gotcha now :roll: I think there was slight blockage between the reading part of my brain and the comprehending part :wink:

If you Eugene, or anyone for that matter, turning or not, has an idea to get more interest in turning or the forum or would just like to see something in particular just go for it and put a fresh post up and see what happens :D If theres enough support for something I'm sure it'll take off, if theres not then nothings lost.
nothing ventured, nothing gained :mrgreen:

A great progression there Nev, personally the challenge has pushed me to turn things I would not have previously considered and that can only be a good thing. I have never been bothered either by the level or experience of any other turners who enter as I don't see it as a competition and I would encourage anyone to have a go. I think this post just goes to prove that with a bit of practice and dedication the progression can be staggering, things don't happen overnight and time at the lathe is invaluable. I am never going to be a pro and use turning as a way to unwind and relax, any more than that and I switch off. I hope the challenge continues next year and pretty much stays in the same format but would love to see more entries.

Regards

Steve

Hesh":2jk56062 said:
A great progression there Nev, personally the challenge has pushed me to turn things I would not have previously considered and that can only be a good thing. I have never been bothered either by the level or experience of any other turners who enter as I don't see it as a competition and I would encourage anyone to have a go. I think this post just goes to prove that with a bit of practice and dedication the progression can be staggering, things don't happen overnight and time at the lathe is invaluable. I am never going to be a pro and use turning as a way to unwind and relax, any more than that and I switch off. I hope the challenge continues next year and pretty much stays in the same format but would love to see more entries.

Regards

Steve

cheers and ditto!
a couple of earlier comments on the variety of stuff and techniques etc required, I can take no credit for the thinking up - its all down to Blister.

That certainly is progress, Nev. I thought your gavel this month was superb and would stand comparison with anyone`s work on this forum or beyond.
I`m sure all of us who have entered reasonably regularly have seen progress in our work and have seen our skills improve by being encouraged to try something new.
I know I have.

Ian

Back