Profiling Router cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a profiler cutting with a 50mm depth. Looking over the trend cutters, a few come to mind.

Some have the bearings fitted at the top only , at the bottom (shank end) only and some fitted at both ends.

I may go for the double bearing cutting but trend has two types, the professional (£52) and the craft (£33). Has anyone had experience with the craft range of cutters?

Andy

I used some craft cutters and they are good I think. I don't think you need to go for Pro range unless you are a Pro and using the bit an awful lot.
Then someone on the Forum mentioned the cutters from http://www.wealdentool.com, they are cheaper and appear even better than Trend.

CYC

I use Wealden Tool Company and am very pleased with their cutters - excellent quality and the bearings they fit are English, rather than Taiwanese. They have a double-bearing cutter with a 50mm cutting length, which you've already seen.

I went with this one as it has a downward shear cut and leaves a brilliant finish - £28.51 including VAT.

HTH

Ray.

Ray, you've opened up another question. Replacement blades or Down shear?

The cutter is for a project, profiling hardwood (walnut or tropical olive). The down shear will give a better cut on the difficult grain. Can you get these sharpened easily?

Andy

Unless you've got an awful lot to do, I'd go with the downshear. The important thing is to keep the cutters clean - I occasionally give mine a brief seeing to with a diamond hone, after a soak in cleaner. I can't even guess at how much mine's cut, but it's all been hardwood and I've not noticed any appreciable difference in smoothness yet.

Ray.

Thanks for the advise. The down shear has been ordered :wink:

Now i got to make the jigs to hold the timber as i pass it next to this cutter. It looks a right beast.

Andy

Bit late but I use the wealden replacable tip one, no problems with tearout on hardwoods, with a bit of fiddleing you can get it to profile upto 4" thick, hereis a pic of some 75mm ash being done.

The point about the top & bottom bearing is that you can flip the work over without moving the template so you are always working with the grain.

Its no problem handheld if you bandsaw to within 3mm of the line.

Jason

Jason, thanks for the pic. I'm hoping to be profiling the face @ 70mm and the sides at 40/50mm. I have gone with the down shear as i need the facing 110% on the first cut. As you stated, the replacement cutter gives a clean cut and i'm going to order this one next.

I haven't received the cutter yet, but it took an hour from order to receive the postage acknowledgement, and thats pretty quick. Should have the cutter in the morning.

Andy

Andy, I realise you have already bought the wealdon cutter, but I just wanted to add my two peneth worth and say that the craft range of cutters from Trend are really good for the money. I have a 50mm Profilier to edge profile guitar bodies, and the finish is excellent and rarely required much work to get them to a state of finish.

Let us know how you get on with the wealdon cutters.

The cutter from Wealden was cheaper without our discount but i think i'm getting more for my money with this cutter being shear down.

Lets see how this performs against my £20 for 50 cutters from ebay :lol:

Andy

I have just ordered two cutters from Wealden, a Thumb Mould and a Dished Panel Mould for my latest project. I`ve got a lot of Wealden cutters and I highly recommend them.

The cutter arrived first thing this morning, thank you Wealden.

I haven't used it yet, but it looks a good quality cutter. Doesn't have loads of flaking yellow paint like my existing cutters :lol:

Andy

That's what I like about wealden, even with deliveries to Ireland they are really quick. And so far I am really happy with the quality.
This forum is a real advertising platform for them, but they deserve it :D

Happy cutting Lynx :lol:

Next question, adding to the profiling cutter. I may require a collect extension ti use a few of my cutters on the table. The trend version is £45 and CMT (axminster) has one for £22.

Any pro's or con's on these two items

Andy

Hi Andy

LyNx":ya9e1txv said:
Next question, adding to the profiling cutter. I may require a collect extension ti use a few of my cutters on the table. The trend version is £45 and CMT (axminster) has one for £22.

Any pro's or con's on these two items

Andy

I would forget them both and buy the Extreme Extension. It costs a bit more, iirc about 60'ish, but the engineering is amazing.

John Bullar has done a review here.

Cheers
Neil

Neil, that looks alot better suited for my needs. The allenkey is so much better than using spanners.

luckily, my router allow for my new cutter to be used without the need for the extension but it's now high on my list for the next coming months.

Andy

Andy

I have the record power rpms-cx1/2" extension collet retail £49. I used it once as my Triton delivery was delayed.

If you are interested you can have it for £10 including postage. pm with your address and I will send it to you. If you do not like it send it back.

Les

As Neil says, the Xtreme Xtension is the way to go.

Bit pricey, but you will soon forget about that when you have used it a few times, it's so much easier.

The main factor as you say is the use of the allen key which is at 90 degrees to the spindle rotation. This means you don't have to fiddle around with the spindle lock under the table and can change router cutters very quickly and easily.

Got mine from Rutlands and think it was around £50 or less, well worth it.

Back