Profile cutter id

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Can any help me Id or find a suitable cutter for the below sash horn profile before I fully give up and make my own - a scary process that I did once and rather not repeat too often if I can help it 😉

Horn is 70mm
Actual moulding is 50mm

Thanks!

Louis

Attachments

• 22E3B173-8DFB-4EE8-A7DC-02842F7B2BAE.jpeg
    22E3B173-8DFB-4EE8-A7DC-02842F7B2BAE.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 15
Just man up and grind one up you wimp :ROFLMAO:

I doubt you’ll find anything off the peg that’ll match anyway Louis, get grinding 😎

How many windows have you got to make? If its not too many it would be quicker just to bandsaw and sand the horns

Just man up and grind one up you wimp :ROFLMAO:

I doubt you’ll find anything off the peg that’ll match anyway Louis, get grinding 😎
Its only scary because I can never be bothered to grind the limiters and I just go for it with an unbalanced block :ROFLMAO:!

Fine - A lesson for the new apprentice coming up then...templates and routering

Cn;t wait for him to smash out the wrong end - Better order some filler in

Its only scary because I can never be bothered to grind the limiters and I just go for it with an unbalanced block :ROFLMAO:!

Pfft! Limiters are overrated anyway :sneaky:

I've got an old Whitehill block I picked up (Cheap too!) pretty much with horns in mind for it although I haven't actually got around to using it yet, it's a 40mm tall block but unlike your usual Whitehill block this one has a down-cutting shear angle which I would guess would make a far superior finish on horns due to the shearing action across the grain rather than just cleaving it off. I'm just imagining how the old Wadkin EKA/ECA tenoner blocks used to work as they had a shearing angle built into them which made for cleaner cutting.

I imagine it makes grinding the knives a bit more complex again though, as well as having to take the cutting angle into account so the knife is the right shape depth-wise, you would also have to take into account the shear angle so the shape is correct in the height.

VGdsieC.jpg

I still think these are my favorite cutters though, quirky little thing:

K7SE5sL.jpg

Pocket watches are quirky.
Monacles are quirky.
Belt buckles are quirky

CUTTER BLOCKS SHOULD NOT BE QUIRKY 😂

Back