Professional or amateur

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a hobbyist. Wouldnt like to be doing it every-day I don't think. I can imagine some B****** client wanting a set of 8 chairs made :cry:

Although, I have sold projects I made, and also made a few bits of custom furniture for people in the past.

If I did do it everyday - my workshop would have to be like a 2nd home (Kinna like "Johns Workshop" with radiators, nicely painted walls, lights, uniform cabinetry and stuff.)

Amateur. i would like to get into it full time or I would really like to sell the tools and play(I mean demonstrate) with them. I quite fancy making hand built kitchens. So if someone out there wants to take me on and give me lots of money for my presence drop me a line!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Jeff

Since I got chucked out of woodwork classes @ school ( oh so many many moons ago), for having 2ozs of Golden Virginia in my pocket ( lost the baccy as well :cry: ) I have been determined @ some time to make something from wood.

Well, a year ago ( and forty years after the git banned me from wood work) I got my chance and since then I have slung the motor out on the drive, knocked together a small shed for all the normal paraphanalia and have been steadily filling the garage with tools and machines, and I'm loving it. :D

I had initially put together a fair bit of stuff with the very basic tools and pine board but am now getting to grips with some more advanced stuff.

Possessing a decent second hand bandsaw ( startrite 351) a thicknesser and most of the other smaller power tools I'm getting right into it.

Still very early days but I have made a fairly nice bathroom cabinet, cassette tape tower, a couple of food trays and a drawer to fit under my very cheaply acquired workbench ( £15 with massive vice included). I've used only reclaimed timber from old builders gravel boards or old door frames etc.

Since I have spent my money on the tools I vow not to buy anymore timber ( except ply, for jigs and stuff where only ply will do). Since I've put the word out, I have received anough bits to keep me going for sometime.

My next venture is to make the router jig for mortice and tenon joints featured in Yeung Chan's excellent book 'Classic Joints with Power Tools.'

Well, to answer the question, still very much the Amateur, though a couple of friends have hinted they may well be passing a commision my way. :wink:

Scram I'll say :lol: , I still got too many things to learn and too much stuff I want to make for home.............. still.......... its a nice thought for sometime later............ much later :D

Happy Beavering Everyone

Billzee

Wow. More responses than I imagined and very interesting

Seems I'm not the only tool collector errrr part time woodworker here :lol: :wink:

well rounded semi pro-am.
log winded due to over imbibement of falling down water :oops: (single malt by preference) using glass properly. :lol:

still learning, not earning, start yer own business and become a pauper :D

Drew

If it is possible to a level below amateur that that is me. I am lucky if I get 2-3 hours per week, never mind per day! I'll learn how to tune and use one tool really well (eg the #405) then it will be months before it comes out again, hence the learning curve starts all over.

For all those people who would like to turn a hobby into a profession just ask yourself what you would then do for a hobby. We all need to escape from our day jobs at sometime.

AndyP

hi all
was pro (antique restorer) now hobby again thank god!!
much more fun.
Norman

definately amateur on the steeper end of the learning curve.. an average week will see me getting maybe 30 hours in the shop. Getting good enough to think about turning pro is a dream..... maybe someday.....yea...??
Woodworking is a matter of switching one set of hand tools for another; my job involves manipulation of electric string.

Amateur but I have sold tables for money in the past :shock: , currently doing more and more, skirting boards, fitting doors, window boards. It acts as an antidote to day to day engineering with a PC.

Bean

Well, I think I am an amateur. :?

I was a professional carpenter for many years, and, worked in many shops. For almost as many years doing either, I did both. :)

On the job site, I was worked as "stairman": fixing/repairing general carpentry problems, trouble shooting, etc. Because I was the job "Stairman", I would get to do all the stairs for many houses and project jobs. And, making a few cabinets, countertops, but...mostly stairs. :p

After a minor injury, :( they decided to send me back to school for computaters. (I could not walk nor stand up for almost a year.) Lately, the last 14 years or so, I have been doing programming and administration. Now, I work for a major university as a Computer Operations Manager, how's that for a title? :wink:

In actuality, I am doing what I have always done...solving problems and climbing stairs...again. :D

jdm

Hey look folks ..... it's JDM! Great to have you around :) !

Me? I'm a "bit 'a" . Most of my work ends up being in exchange for a bit 'a timber, a bit 'a decorating, a bit 'a dinner... :wink: :) .

Yours

Gill

Another hammerchewer and wannabe craftsman here. Made a few acceptable bits in the past, Heartshaped rocking cot for my daughter in the dim and distant past ( my own design too ), Garage for my son plus one or two items of furniture.
Having a go now at making a few toys for my Grandson, first one nearly finished is a Pull-along Bendy Dog

I try, and I try, and I try and I try........
Definitely not a pro. More enthusiasm than aptitude really; Still, one continues to live in hope.

As it's my first post, better say what a great site it is. And I mean that.

VERY amateur. The shelf unit and bench for my garage came out well and if I get my act together will go and get the wood for my greenhouse staging at the weekend.

I can't imagine anyone actually paying me for anything and time available to actually use the modest collection of tools I've acquired would make people give up on me long before I'd get anywhere too.

Still defo on the "rustic" outdoor stuff before heading for pine boards and a desk/bookcase being considered for daughters room.

Lurking here has helped me a lot with considerations for equipment and real world advice and with the quality of that I'm surprised more of you are not admitting to pro status.

Trevor":3d4u6wbb said:
I'm surprised more of you are not admitting to pro status.

I've seen "amatuer" stuff at shows which is definately above some "professional" work I have seen. I consider the difference to be that an amatuer can spend months building a single item, during which time perfection can be achieved, wheras professionals have to make a living, and so time is always a pressure. I've found websites for people who have made some amazing stuff - but they couldn't sell it commercially if they actually costed their time. A profesional could make something as good, or almost as good, in a fraction of the time.

Adam

asleitch":1x0l2rjz said:
I consider the difference to be that an amatuer can spend months building a single item, during which time perfection can be achieved, wheras professionals have to make a living, and so time is always a pressure.Adam
Spot on Adam!
I'm pro (part-time), but an amateur at heart! I look forward to being totally amateur again when my other business pays the bills.

Tony":3b8fz6w0 said:
Guys

I was wondering and thought it might make an interesting read to find out how many people on this forum are professional woodworkers and how many 'weekend woodworkers'? Just interested, that's all :)

To start the ball rolling I am a weekender however my dad was a full time chippy and so it must be in the blood :D

I began my apprenticeship many years ago the entered the teaching profession for 30 years Resigned and conducted a cabinetmaking business for 15 years now retired but still involved giving router demonstrations at various woodshows. My delight now is I can go to my workshop in the back yard and do what I like to do when I want to and no longer under pressure for completing a project by a certain time. I had an interesting project for a few years during my cabinetmaking construction re-furbishing executive jets and it was at this time I developed the skill of using template guides for the router. I was also known as the 'Jig Man' during my teaching career. I still teach on a voluntary capacity half day per week teaching the blind to use the router. Don't panic with the aid of the template guides it is very safe.
Tom (now Amateur) I've had my day

Latest posts

Back