Professional advice needed please, respiration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatmanG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,as some who know me know I have serious and debilitating health issues. I'm not a woe is me sort of guy. I want to live every day to the full not moan and whine (except to one or two I believe are charlatans, beggars and a disgrace to the hobby/industry.) For future reference if I say something regards someone on you tube you you disagree with just ignore and put a big yawn etc. Its just an opinion,it won't be personal and not worth the I find time precious!

Right I have 2 incurable lung diseases which is being attacked mercilessly through dust. For now I only have a makita mitre saw terrible dust collection no port to connect to and a table saw again pants dust collection of the highest order. For they are out of order for the foreseeable! I am only going to use my hands as I am currently laid up for 3rd time with Sensitivity pnemonitis. Both lungs every time. I need a mask a good one, I'm not john Malecki or Jonathan katz-moses who are supplied berthed than Pablo Escobar :D
I'm not worried about looks/vanity I'm only concerned with a mask dust extraction will when I get through this. Seriously a paradox in I need a top mask with hobbyist cost. I hate pity despise it. Most of you are decent and would wish me well.
Thanks very much in advance. =D>

I REALLY NEED TO BUY A MASK :(

Thanks Ben I thought that would be offered up. Expensive but essential.
Cheers Ben
FG

Edit:
after that link I know I will be dreaming about Paul Sellers :shock: the wife's getting worried haha

I have full on asthma and I use a mask like that. It can get a bit hot in warm weather. But very effective and MUCH better than a close fitting face mask.

Your whole set up will benefit in due course from decent extraction though.

Actually that mask tyre man suggests is very cheap.
I very much doubt you will find anything to match it’s performance at the price.

FYI when I worked, one of my jobs was to specify respiratory protective equipment of highly dangerous dusts. Using that knowledge and even though I could have bought expensive stuff at considerable discount, I settled on this very product. And it cost more than the price in the above link.

I appreciate the cost is value for money you cant put a price on your heath.
Cheers
FgG

Good on you for not letting life get you down and keeping moving forward!

I've got an Elipse P3 mask which is excellent, but I suspect an airfed such as the one Tyreman recommended would be the best option. It's a pretty significant investment, but when you think about it as combining a good quality mask and a good quality face shield as well as being a pretty nifty hat it's not bad value for money.

The best tool in the workshop is yourself, so look after it :wink:

I agree with the advice given above. I have breathing problems after having my chest crushed in a road accident - not as bad as your health problems, but I still have to look after my lungs. Good dust extraction at source is ideal , but not possible with your current saw. A powered respirator is a must, I use one a lot of the time and it really makes a difference to my breathing. Mine is the Axminster respirator, but with hindsight I should have bought the Trend one which is slightly better specified for the same money. I think the Trend one is heavier though, which might matter if you are wearing it all day. The respirator is a pipper when my nose starts running and I can’t blow it, but I guess that’s true of any mask.

Is the sandstrum sr200 any good? Or is it just a case of get the Pipper one :D and take no chances. I'd post a pic of where the dust gets into my pores and reacts causing an infection but I don't want everyone to block me haha

I haven’t come across Sandstrom before, so I have just had a look at their website. They claim a very high level of filtration, but they are designed to be used with a hose connected to a separate air supply which means you cannot easily move around a workshop. The Axminster and Trend masks are self contained, the power supply and the fans to suck in air are all built into the mask. Also the Sandstrom is a gas mask style, you have a great big filter in front of you which would annoy me intensely.

You will need an air fed mask/hood of some description, at least as good as the one already mentioned.

I have one of even higher spec. and can still fall foul of dust or wood volatiles given a moment's inattention.
Unfortunately for the pocket money, masks of this level of performance whatever brand, come at a premium price.

post1107522.html#p1107522

I think the lighter weight is a big advantage with having to wear it constantly. I need to find some good overalls and shroud as I'm like you for irritant dust on skin. Well plenty for me to think about. I am still useless at the hobby but I love it too much to give up.

The Trend Airshield Pro is a very good mask, the cool air washing down the inside of the mask and your face is very cooling in hot weather, it does not get hot inside, the weight issue disappears once you have been wearing it for a couple of minutes.

Latest posts

Back