Processing rough sawn wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steliz

Camberwell Carrot
Reaction score
I've been gifted 7 live edge and dry Walnut boards with the approximate dimensions of 1500 x 50 x 350(average).
They all have varying degrees of twist, up to 100mm on one corner of 2 boards, and some minor cupping, one with major cupping and a couple of them are fairly flat.
I have a workshop with the usual machinery and I would like to ask what is the best approach to maximising the flatest yield from these boards?

Don't do anything until you know what you are building. Then you cut your boards to rough dimensions, and only then do you start flattening. Otherwise you will waste masses of timber unnecessarily.

Mike's pretty much covered it, the only thing I'd add is that to really stretch the yield (and maximise residual thickness) you may be better ripping into narrower strips, flattening each strip individually, edge jointing, and then gluing back together.

If it's a fairly straight grained board and you're good at edge jointing then the results can be invisible.

The first project will be a coffee table with a 1m x 600mm width top. I will have to join 2, maybe 3, pieces to achieve 600mm as well laminating pieces for the legs.
I've made a small side table with wedged M&Ts previously and this will be a similar challenge.

Back