Problems with my Festool saw, aaarrrgghh!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I might have worn it out! It just won't cut a straight line anymore. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that it was still occasionally trimming bits of rubber off the edge of the saw guide, and the blade is definitely wandering slightly at the end of a cut, and now the cut isn't even in a straight line.
There's a little bit of play on the blade radially, the drive nut (not tightenable) is a little loose on the motor shaft, but I can't feel any side play
I'm on my fourth blade, BTW. I have no idea how many 8x4 sheets I've sliced into 70mm strips with it, and I use it for lots of other cutting tasks, so it might simply be worn out.
It is, however, guaranteed for 3 years, so I shall be going to my local service agents tomorrow to get it sorted out

Would I get another? You bet I would. In fact, if they can't fix it right away then I will be buying a new one to keep me going til this one is fixed

John

Dear John
Based largely on your enthusiasm (!) I took the plunge and bought one. I don't use it every day like you do, so I'm expecting it to last me donkey's years, BUT
I have to say, all its many plus-points aside, the noise it makes is ROUGH. I expected a nice WHIRRR but it sounds awful, gratey. Is this normal?

Concerned of Nottingham.

Agree with you on the noise thing - quite unexpected when I first used it!

John, I bet you've check this, but have the cams moved that keep the saw tight to the track?
This would account for the problems you're having.
How long have you had the saw now? Even with regular daily use it should last longer than 3 years IMHO.

Steve Maskery":3f5fkhsd said:
I expected a nice WHIRRR but it sounds awful, gratey. Is this normal?
Exactly the same here, Steve - I was a bit surprised too - in fact I had to PM Aragorn to get reassurance that his was the same!

Neil

Aragorn":31ggd33i said:
Agree with you on the noise thing - quite unexpected when I first used it!

John, I bet you've check this, but have the cams moved that keep the saw tight to the track?
This would account for the problems you're having.
How long have you had the saw now? Even with regular daily use it should last longer than 3 years IMHO.

I certainly did check the cams, they're OK.
It'll be interesting to hear what the service people say, I'll report back

John

It is a pro warranty on a Festool, so there are no excuses unless it is accidental damage. I believe we are just about to find out one of the reasons they are expensive. At least I damn well hope so!

<i>In fact, if they can't fix it right away then I will be buying a new one to keep me going til this one is fixed </i>

I'd ask for a loaner while it is mended, if not from the shop, give Minden a call.

John probably way off line here, but have you checked the spacer wedge is set properly at the rear of the blade? Because this can make it wander if the setting has been knocked out.

While on this subject, ever since i have had the saw the speed has been set at the top setting number 6. But the other day it had some how got altered down to the lowest setting, which i found out about when i turned it on. This wasn't a problem but what i did noticed was that on setting 1 the motor sounded like it (what i can only describe) was pulsating and slowing down slightly for a spilt second before it speeds up again. This happens ever few seconds but only on setting one. Has anyone else found this?

As it was on the slowest speed i may never have noticed it except for one thing. In their catolouge Festool claim that the MMC electronics with 6 regulation and control functions retains a constant preset speed to allow optimum processing of a wide variety of materials.
I don't know about anyone else, but this says to me that it should not be pulsating or losing speed even though it is only for a spilt second at a time.
What do you think?

Because John and Co were shouting from the rooftops how good this saw was, i had to check elsewhere so before i got mine i searched far and wide for reviews or comments on Festool products and i have to say except for the above i have never read a bad word about them, and in reality you cannot really say that any of this is what i would call a negative comment. So like John i would certainly buy another one if i needed too.

Regards

Woody

Woodythepecker":3cf57i7s said:
But the other day it had some how got altered down to the lowest setting, which i found out about when i turned it on. This wasn't a problem but what i did noticed was that on setting 1 the motor sounded like it (what i can only describe) was pulsating and slowing down slightly for a spilt second before it speeds up again. This happens ever few seconds but only on setting one.

What do you think?
Woody

Does it still "pulse" whilst loaded (cutting)?

It sounds like the electronics to the Thyristor have got it wrong if it does. (or it was not setup correct in manufacture)

How worn are the brushes/armature? these circuits usually rely on feedback from the armature to determine power input to motor, anything that disrupts this could cause instability.

Don't know about the specifics of the festal internals here so may have got it wrong, but it is my first guess.

Just thinking out loud here guys, but wouldn't it be nice if we had a Festool represenative from Minden on the forum who could help us with all these questions? Maybe we should put this question forward to them, we are spending a lot of money with these people now!

Simon

Right, well, I just got back from the local Festool service agents, which happens to be the place I bought it from originally. I took a piece of ply that I had cut with it, which shows the worst feature of its current perfomance which is for the blade to run out of line at the end of the cut. Thus has the effect that the cut runs inside the desired line for about the last 20mm, and when that piece of ply is place against a straight piece as it would be in say the base of a cabinet against the side, the gap is clearly visible
Anyway, the chap I saw acknowledged that the saw was not right, and explained that the repair man wasn't there til Monday and he would show him the saw then. He also said that it was the first Festool saw that he had seen returned.
It would have been nice to have had someone look at it immediately, but what he was offering seemed reasonable bearing in mind that I had used the saw for 8 months.
I'm self employed, and going without my festool saw for what might turn out to be several days would be unthinkable, so I bought another one without all the bits and pieces.
I've only had a quick go with the new saw and it is definitely better although the radial play on the blade is noticeable, same as the old one

I'm expecting the service people to ring me on Monday, and will report on what is said (and done).

John

johnelliott":3gdgisvy said:
I'm self employed, and going without my festool saw for what might turn out to be several days would be unthinkable, so I bought another one without all the bits and pieces.
I hope he gave you a good discount, John :shock: - I can completely understand why you had to have another one straight away, though...

Please keep us up to date on what happens... :?

Neil

Chas, thanks for your reply. No it does not appear to do it while under load.

I presume as no one else has answered their saw does not act in this manner so my best bet would be to contact Festool.

I did not realise that there was a new model, when did this come out?

Regards

Woody

Woodythepecker":2fk3jo92 said:
I did not realise that there was a new model, when did this come out?

Woody, not sure if you are referring to what I said about my 'new' saw, but if you are, then it isn't a new model, just new.

I've been using it this afternoon, it's a little bit quieter (but not much) and a little bit smoother. It cuts as well as the old one did up til a short while ago , in other words, very nicely indeed.

I reckon maybe it's the bearings on the output shaft.

Another thing I've noticed about the new saw, it's trimming the rubber strips on my guides, so it shows that the distance from guide rail to sawblade does vary from one unit to the next. It also means that when I get the other one back that I can't treat them as being interchangeable.

John

Manny":87fq1oqi said:
....used the saw for 8 months.

Doesn't sound long is it in constant use?

Not constant, but a lot. I make kitchens and it does at least 95% of all the cutting. I have a table saw which I start up from time to time, but I get a better edge from the Festool, and the time save in sanding is worth the extra time it takes to set up each cut

John

johnelliott":10fyv005 said:
Another thing I've noticed about the new saw, it's trimming the rubber strips on my guides, so it shows that the distance from guide rail to sawblade does vary from one unit to the next.
John, this would vary depending on how you set up the cams that keep it snug to the guide rail.

I get a better edge from the Festool

I am a festool fanatic through and through, but surely that can only be a function of blade quality?

Jake
Yes, of course the blade quality is important (both quality of design as well as manufacture), but don't you think that the superb cut of the Festool is also partly due to the rubber edge of the guide and the plastic out-rider, which between them effectively create a zero-clearance cut?

Yes the blade is good, but it's not the only contributive factor.

My 2p.

Cheers
Steve

Back