Problems with my Festool saw, aaarrrgghh!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO

Can't get it to work. Maybe there is a tracking cookie on your PC that it needs or something like that

Could be.

Right, found a place that has it.

http://www.festool.ie/

Follow the spare parts link, circular saws, then plunge-cut saw, then the TS55EBQ (second saw on the list)

Cheers

Jake

EDITED to correct the link sequence

Alf":2njop282 said:
Adam wrote:
waterhead37 wrote:
Ain't this thread something? I reckon it has generated more traffic than almost anything including bevel up versus down, the best way to sharpen and which saw do I need to make dovetails like Rob Cosman! Laughing Laughing

Very bizarre given very few people own this saw!

Hmm, wonder how many people are reading it and going "yep, knew it wasn't worth getting a Festool"...? Wink Which is daft of course, 'cos so far no-one has seems to have actually had any trouble with the cut at low speed as far as I can see. Interesting that this thread has exposed the noise factor though, which I don't recall ever having been mentioned before. Surprising given the general trend of more cost equalling less noise.

I'm not sure that is that surprising since given the widely held belief that Festool products are peerless, the thread title is the car enthusiast forum equivalent of 'The wheels of my Bentley have fallen off' and then further discussion ensues which also highlights that the exhaust noise is worse than a tractor's.

Cheers

Tim

(who knows how to stretch an analogy to beyond its natural limits)

I wonder if maybe we aren't all expecting too much from these Festools? I know they are a lot more expensive that ordinary circular saws, but that hardly puts them in the perfect bracket.

As a full time woodworker I delve quite deeply into the various alternative means of cutting up sheet materials quickly and cleanly, and my reading has shown me that there ain't nothing, regardless of cost, that is without some kind of drawback.

My view is that despite the noise and despite the strange behaviour of the motor speed control, and despite the problems that I've had with mine there is nothing else like it on the market, and I am glad I bought mine

John

Tim wrote:

I'm not sure that it is that surprising since given the widely held belief that Festool products are peerless, the thread title is the car enthusiast forum equivalent of "The wheels of my Bentley have fallen off and then further discussion ensues which also highlights that the exhaust noise is worse than a tractor's

Although some people have mentioned the noise (which i personally do not think it is that excessive) you will still find that to a man (or woman) every owner would still buy another one. In fact John went our and purchased a new one at the same time he was handing his faulty one in to be put right under warranty. Now i realise that he needed a saw to carry on working, but i am sure you will agree that this on its own shows how highly Festool owners think of this saw.

Peerless? Maybe. The best circular saw on the market right now? Certainly.

Even though i was panicing about the state of my saw, because if it had a fault i did not want to make it worse, i was still forced to cut 40 8x4 sheets of mdf up yesterday to turn into wainscoting and i have to say it dealt with it with flying colours, which pleased me no end :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards

Woody

For those Festool "Junkies" that don't already know, there is a Festool Owners Group on Yahoo.

Unfortunately for us, it is US based (don't look at the prices they "complain" about as it will only make you depressed...) but seems to be a friendly and enthusiastic bunch of serious Festool addicts who are always swapping ideas, doing Festool reviews, hosting live "chats" with Festool US technical staff, and recommending purchases (maybe not such a good idea to mention the niggles with the TS55 as they are all mad keen at the moment to get their hands on - they are still stuck with the ATF55!)

They also have a couple of Festool representatives in the group so maybe if you get no joy from the local dealers over here you could ask them the questions - guess they may not fly over to pick it up but...

Mike

Back