problems with metrication

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be lost without my tapes with both metric and imperial measurements. In fact the other day I looked at some tapes in a store and they were only metric ........ no good for me, but I am just starting to get a little understanding. At 73 I'm a lost cause now! lol

Sawyer":qwyw8j08 said:
RossJarvis":qwyw8j08 said:
I'm currently seeking an inches only tape measure to go with my other measuring stuff, but there's only one available in the UK. For some reason, the bit I want to measure is usually always on the wrong edge of the tape :x

Who's offering this, Ross? I spent ages searching in vain, eventually finding one company willing to do bulk orders.

Grrrr! I can't find or remember where I found this now, I think it was a hand tool website. All I can now find is the bulk order place you found. Very displeased :x

Oh, great, I am glad it is not only me that struggles with metrication. I was taught and brought up with imperial and use this mostly as I also find it easier to visualise. I do however revert to metric for small measurements as I find this more accurate. Strangely enough when I took up scuba diving a few years ago it was easier to work in metric and this in turn helped me visualise depths and distances and was also better for calculations for decompression. I also still think of prices in £ shillings and pence and it terrifies me how much things are now! (I still miss the threepenny bit and the ten shilling note, now I really am showing my age. :lol:

I will be in the USA from the 23rd Sept to 1st Oct and can pop into a Loews or Home Depot to pick up some imperial tapes if anyone wishes. Send me a PM if you want one (or more)!

t8hants":2zjp1fct said:
What ever you do, don't work in centipedes (sorry centimeters) these are the work of the devil and have to be beaten out of school leavers. Mill's and meters are fine, nothing else is needed.

+1
It drives me nuts when I ask someone for a measurement and they give it in cents. People get confused whereas if in mm they can be no confusion.

I'm 65 and my education was firmly imperial but as a builder I have to work with both and find it no problem whatsoever. (except when putting up stud walls or roof trussed at 600 or 400mm centres and finding the OSB is 8' x 4' and has to be cut down :evil: )

I work in metric in my workshop btw.

Lons":2qnl45x2 said:
t8hants":2qnl45x2 said:
What ever you do, don't work in centipedes (sorry centimeters) these are the work of the devil and have to be beaten out of school leavers. Mill's and meters are fine, nothing else is needed.

+1
It drives me nuts when I ask someone for a measurement and they give it in cents. People get confused whereas if in mm they can be no confusion.

I'm 65 and my education was firmly imperial but as a builder I have to work with both and find it no problem whatsoever. (except when putting up stud walls or roof trussed at 600 or 400mm centres and finding the OSB is 8' x 4' and has to be cut down :evil: )

I work in metric in my workshop btw.

You had the neccessary amount of practice imposed on you by industry standards.

BugBear

Yorkshire Sam, I share your pain. Although I work in metric, I also struggle to visualise it. When they forecast up to 100mm of snow I have to convert back to 4", for instance. I think both of us probably too long in the tooth for it to become instinctive.

Back