Problems with Makita LXT batteries ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else had problems with the 18v lithium makita batteries ?
Ive got three of them , one failed to recharge after very little use and another one has just gone the same way having
had far fewer charging cycles than you would expect it to be capable of.
I am reticent to buy more batteries if they are going to suffer the same fate :(

That's the one BIG reason all my cordless gear is NiCd. Very easily and cheaply repaired (re-celled) batteries. When your lithium batts go down it's arm-and-a-leg time.

Roy

Makita had/have a known problem with some the lithiun ion batteries i would either take them back to were you purchased them or contact Makita.

DONT TELL ME THAT! I just bought an 18V LXT driver :shock: I bought this as my Ni Cad batteries on my other Makita only lasted just over a year!

clk230":3jf128lu said:
Makita had/have a known problem with some the lithiun ion batteries i would either take them back to were you purchased them or contact Makita.

That`s most likely the problem, i`ve had the same 6 batteries for the last 4 years & with them being used in 12 tools, they get some hammer & no problems yet with the batteries, burnt a couple of drills out mind, don`t like 4" hole saws, then again neither did DeWalt :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

Contacted Makita UK last night and got a reply at 8.33 this morning.
If I send the defective batteries to them theyll test them and replace FOC if found to have failed prematurely (hammer)

Alan Jones":25w030ty said:
Contacted Makita UK last night and got a reply at 8.33 this morning.
If I send the defective batteries to them theyll test them and replace FOC if found to have failed prematurely (hammer)

Result :mrgreen:

:cry: Unfortunately alls not well that ends well
I sent them off to Makita and they sent them straight back.
Apparently the batteries are American stock and not covered under warranty, so beware buying from ebay companies
Now faced with buying 2 expensive replacements :evil:

Just read somewhere that lithium batteries lose about 20% of their capacity a year even if unused, so after a few years theyre pretty much goosed anyway :roll: . Better to have just a couple of batteries and work them to death than to have additional spares then.
On a positive note the lithiums are much better in use, far less weight and more power

axminster do some of tthier own make that fit the makita's , i've not tried them myself but they are abit cheaper.

Alan Jones":17s4rra5 said:
:cry: Unfortunately alls not well that ends well
I sent them off to Makita and they sent them straight back.
Apparently the batteries are American stock and not covered under warranty, so beware buying from ebay companies
Now faced with buying 2 expensive replacements :evil:

That's a shame Alan, I mean a battery is a battery wherever it came from. A bit poor from Makita imho.
I was looking at the combi drill last week as I need a new drill and was a bit suprised to find Makita only still give a 1year warranty on the drill itself :shock: when most of the other high end manufacturers give 2 to 3 years.

My son-in-law bought the Makita 6 piece set, paid a lot of money and tells me 2 of the 3 batteries are faulty. He has emailed the company he bought them from and has heard nothing yet! I only hope they get intouch because he's built like a brick sh*@house and I think he'll be a tad upset if he has to pay for replacement batteries out of his own pocket.
I will keep you posted.

Stew

I am not sure about the Axminster ones but most of the cheaper replacement batteries state they should not be used with the Makita Li Ion charger. :cry:

On a slightly different note I have Makita 18v drill driver , had it a few months and now the chuck is playing up , i.e. not gripping very well .... :evil: :evil:

I've had 4 x 18v li-ion batteries for maybe over five years now used in my Makita kit everyday on site. They must have been charged thousands of times I'm really surprised just how long they have lasted.

Just a note on warranties , my Makita combi drill broke after three years Makita fixed it FOC even though it was well out of warranty so they are pretty good in my book.

chippy1970":2har0p0e said:
I've had 4 x 18v li-ion batteries for maybe over five years now used in my Makita kit everyday on site. They must have been charged thousands of times I'm really surprised just how long they have lasted.

Just a note on warranties , my Makita combi drill broke after three years Makita fixed it FOC even though it was well out of warranty so they are pretty good in my book.

Fairplay Chippy, Im only mentioning my makita and to be fair its the first Makita kit I have had.. :D

I don't have any long term experience of the LXT's, but have always been impressed when i've used others with them fitted. My 12v NiCad is still holding out though.

On a separate note, i've been really disappointed with the performance of the 10.8v Makita batteries - they last hardly any time before they need re-charging. So duff in fact that i've dug the aforementioned 12v out of the 'shop and take that on site now instead.

Cheers

Karl

Interesting - there was a guy advertising 4 Makita 18v batteries very cheap in last week's ScotAds. Maybe I now know why :(
("fortunately", feeling too poorly to go and look at them or might have been caught out)

mailee":zs9bb407 said:
I am not sure about the Axminster ones but most of the cheaper replacement batteries state they should not be used with the Makita Li Ion charger. :cry:
The Axi ones claim to be compatible:
Key features More information
•Compatible with the Makita 18V Li-Ion family of cordless tools
•Same size and shape use in place of the original battery
•3.0Ah capacity (charged on the original charger)
•Protected and secured against overcharge and short-circuits.

Back