problems mounting on chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipster

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a collet chuck with my lathe..some bits are missing but I do have a dovetail fitting and a set of tightening jaws (for want of a beter discription) I have watched many videos and read books that show about mounting a short spindle on the chuck at just the headstoc end..however,, whenever i try this the work just ends up going off centre at the the slightest touch.. I have been trying to make a wooden cone to fit over my tailstock.
I turned a short cylinder and left a "peg" on one end to mound in my chuck. this is so that \i can hollow out one end to make the recess to fit over thr tailstock..I even used the tailstock to line it up once mounted and got it spinning just right but as soon as I start to work on the end grain it starts coming loose from ther jaws no matter how hard I tighten it ..
I always thought collet chucks were the buisness but i have found mine a bit rubbish !
I have experimented with different speeds by the way..... would a 4 jaw scroll chuck be better ?

There are many ways of mounting wood for turning .Turners for many years learned these ways and produced beautiful work .
Turners today probley use these methods and make up some of their holding methods.
I on the other hand took up turning in the age of the Scroll Chuck and now have four because I'm lazy and dont have to change jaws too often .
My advice get yourself a scroll chuck it makes life so much easier .

the primary problem with such chucks is that they require a degree of tollerence in turning both spigots and recesses that only comes later in one's turning life!

from what you are saying I can only conclude that the spigot/peg is not the 'right' diameter.

Hi

Appologies if I've misunderstood but I think you need to get a live centre for the tailstock. This will allow you to produce spindles with the collet chuck.

If you wish to produce goblets, bowls etc. I would suggest investing in a scroll chuck - Rutlands occaisionally have them on offer for £69 - I have one of these and it stands favourable comparison to my Sorby and Record chucks coming in at C£200.

Regards Mick

How deep is the wood mounted into the chuck? I find that anything less than the full depth of the chuck recess with a 'square' face bottoming out in the chuck results in movement.
The type of wood also has a great bearing on the success of holding just one end. anything slightly soft will 'give' straight away.

nev":1h732i0c said:
How deep is the wood mounted into the chuck? I find that anything less than the full depth of the chuck recess with a 'square' face bottoming out in the chuck results in movement.

such chucks won't necessarily 'bottom out' Nev, and they definitely don't have anything for a square face to sit on :D

their stength, and accuracy, comes from a long spigot holding capacity - 30 to 50mm, their weakness is a tollerance of about 2mm in the spigot diameter (maybe 1mm!)

Back