Problem with Tormek grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman-46

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Tormek grinder that I use mainly for sharpening my Morso(frame cutting guillotine) blades. It does a pretty decent job and I am happy with the very sharp results.
I have one problem though that I can't seem to rectify. When I use the planer blade jig, that also holds Morso blades, I set up as per instructions by adjusting to the correct existing angle of the blade by using the screw/bolt that comes up against a block. I lock off the "rise and fall" rods and then turn the calibrated wheels about five marks release the rod locks and click down as normal. A small gap appears between the two sliding surfaces of the jig that should disappear to nothing as the required amount is ground away.Ok so far. When I start grinding, however I hold or push against the jig and slide from side to side, there is always a gap between the angle determining bolt/screw and block .This presumably is not correct as they should be against each other all the time, determining the angle. The only gap, as said before, should surely only be between the two sliding surfaces . The only way I can think of rectifying this is to simply come up with an idea for holding the screw/bolt up against the block firmly once the angle has been set. Has anyone had this problem and if not any advice would be appreciated. Sorry this is rather longwinded, but it is the concise version! James

James - Sorry can't answer your specific question but have you spoken to your supplier (Was it Brimarc?)

Also, I had a question which I sent by e-mail to Tormek in Sweden and received a very comprehensive reply from Mr. Tormek himself.

I have a Tormek but I haven't got that jig. However I have studied the guide book drawings. If you push the support block against the adjustment screw - like from the side with a screwdriver - will it make contact with the screw and increase the gap between the support block and the blade holder? From the diagram it looks as though the block will only make hard contact with the adjuster screw when the blade has reached its full grind, and until then the block will "float" in normal use between the blade holder and the screw. I think you will find that both gaps will close when the grind is finished. I would say that was perfectly normal.

Back