Problem with pitched roof gap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos0371

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all.

I've run into a slight problem with my shed build, the cowboys who built the shed originally (I bought it second hand) didn't board the roof properly, in that they didn't butt the roof boards up to each other, then just felted over the gap.

I'm installing an EPDM roof and can't really do it with the big gap they've left, so was wondering if anyone has any ideas for pitch roof caps or infills I could use to cover the gap? It's not a steep pitch, it's 155 degrees.

Can't really wait for online ordering either as needs to be completed today/tomorrow with the gap in the dung weather we've been having, so need ideas from High Street hardware stores.

Any help or advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20210224_095219.jpg
    IMG_20210224_095219.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210224_095224.jpg
    IMG_20210224_095224.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210224_100114.jpg
    IMG_20210224_100114.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Is it possible to drop a peice of timber into the gap and plane it to suit the pitch of the roof? this would also give you the opportunity to round off the apex and take away a stress point on the membrane, which in my experience is where they fail.

Little bit difficult as it's a deep V shape, so anything dropped in runs the risk of moving. Difficult to fix from inside as the beams are also already screwed together inside.

That's a panel shed, pretty common construction. they are pre-fabricated, so you do get a gap like that where the roof panels join.
I see some options, If you have a band saw, cut appropriate angled fillers and fix them into the gap. Another option is to cut V shaped supports, fit into the gap, to support a long bit of wood. I like the spray foam idea, perhaps cover it with 100mm wide plastic damp proof course, or a strip or two of EPDM?

I built something similar which had a gap, not as big, but still a gap. I ridged it with 150mm wide by 1mm copper sheet that I get locally at a knockdown price. You could use lead flashing though.

A length of plastic waste pipe looks like it would fit neatly into the gap... And have a smooth rounded surface for the roofing material.

I Like the waste pipe idea, you could run some expanded foam along both sides. Do youreself a favour and invest in a metal foam gun for replaceable cartridges. Much more cost effective and the foam stays useable for months because of the way the valve is at the tip of the dispensing tube. Having got one you will find it indispensable for filling all sorts of gaps.

Spray foam and cut to suit???

Cheers James
James...I like your idea, have you any experience on how long the foam would last, possibly forever or ?? years.

I will shortly be designing & building a smallish shed for a family member and I am mentally trying to design out any problems including the roof peak problem.

Any half decent 8' x 6' pitched roof, 1 x window , 1 x door free shed build plans with recommended materials would be welcome.

I am in the very early stages from 2 nights ago when the 'can you build one' conversation was introduced to me.

Best Regards
Richard

Getting the foam trimmed and then sticking the EPDM to it is likely to be tricky.

Why not just fix strips of 11mm OSB/ply/treated timber on either side so the edges join above the gap.

Yes, there will be a step but it shouldn't be a problem if you use the contact adhesive.
With ply or solid timber you can cut it at an angle so it's not a 90 degree step.

Foam lasts years... Most uPVC windows are installed with it.

If building one use a ridge joist instead.

Cheers James

Back