Problem with pipe clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
A frustrated would be oak strip laminator with steam coming out of his ears is posting this message
I recently bought a set of pipe clamps from axminster, http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?sessionID=SJD&pf_id=32094 but have had a problem with the tail pieces - the metal clutch plates broke on one of them when I tightened the clamp. As they are advertised as heavy duty naturally I was a bit annoyed. Axminster replaced the clutch plates foc but tonight, laminating the next shelf in a painfully slow preparation for a bookcase the clutch plates on the other four of my five clamp sets broke!
I am emailing axminster as you read this to express my annoyance. My question to you is am I doing something wrong like doing them up too much, though I've only used hand pressure, or have I got a really duff set of clamps?? Help!
Thanks for your time, breathing pattern returning to normal...
stewart

Hi Stewart
I would have thought that the clutch plate would have slipped before breaking , any chance fo posting a picture of the broken plates ?
Any one with orange pipe clamps Pony I think has had this problem ?

Cheers

Hi Stewart

Probably nothing to do with you at all. More like a duff batch or duff design.

I had a similar problem with some really tacky clamps that Focus sold. The design was fundamentally flawed. It's possible that the same might apply to the clutch on your clamps.

Roger

I've got both the jorgensen (orange pony)No 50 & 56 pipe clamps, never had a problem with them even using the No 56 in spreading mode to hold up 100kg green oak beams :D

Suppose thats why the Axminster ones are half the price but would have thought the steel plates would bend or slip rather than brake :?:

Jason

Thanks for the replies
I've put a scan of the broken plates in a yahoo photo album which might direct link:
detail

but if this space is blank the url is: http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stewart_furini/detail?.dir=/3ae9&.dnm=a73d.jpg&.src=ph
your comments about a duff batch are reassuring me - just hope axminster's customer service see it the same way!
stewart[/url]

Looks like they may have been hardened but someone forgot to temper them by the way they have failed. Tempering removes some of the brittleness after hardening.

Jason

thanks jason
if customer services get shirty i'll use the lack of tempering line!
stewart

Stewart, reckon you've duff plates. I've plenty of 50s and 56s and no problems. Fantastic clamps. Get them replaced and/or talk to the UK importer - Chesterton Marketing. The Axminster and Toolbay models are identical, both genuine Jorgensen Pony.

Noel

Noel, Stewarts ones are the Axminster copies (china, taiwan?) not the Jorgensen ones hence the problem.

Jason

Jason, you are so right. Teach me to look at URLs in future. So Stewart, as Jason rightly says best to get the Pony versions, as well as throwing your versions back to Axminster.

Noel

Axminster have been in touch to let me know they are sending replacement parts - i'll give them a rigorous test to see if they are up to the job and ask for a refund if they are not and give the Jorgensen ones a try.
I'll keep you posted.

Stewart

Back