problem with my mdf, any opinions???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippymart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, new to site and my first post and could do with some opinions on some dodgy sheets of MDF i got the other day.
Had 20 odd sheets of different sizes turn up and stuck a coat of acrylic primer on both faces straight away to seal as I always do as for painted cabinets I am building. Was a nice sunny day so dried nice and quick. Had 4 sheets of 6mm and now dry, resemble shreded wheat. All the others I painted,12mm,18mm, and 25mm sheets finished as expected. Can only think that where I got them from (Alsford timber merchants in the south) that the moisture got into them at their yard affecting the face. Got the manager coming to have a look as I cant seem to lose the fibrey look. Given them 3 coats of undercoat now but fibres still showing through in a nice embossed look.Any opinions would be kindly recieved. Had 180 sheets off them on my last job, all for cabinet work and not ever come across anything this bad. :?

Its likely the 6mm is from a different source and just basic contract grade MDF. I don't touch the stuff prefering to use MR (moisture resistant) MDF for all my work from a known maker such as Medite or Caber. Far denser with a harder surface and the cut or machined edges don't fluf up.

J

Hi,
I would agree with JasonB, we work with lots of MDF. It can vary greatly Medite is great but, occasionally we get the odd sheet from B & Q sometimes the 6mm they stock once primed is just as you described, have you attempted to route any of it, the 6mm from B & Q wont hold any detail or a hard edge when machined, its almost unworkable.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Luckily I'm not doing much with it, just making some shaker doors so only a small chamfer on it and using as backing to units. Just the finish on shaker doors is problem. Going to discard and prob get replaced with MR. Never had a problem with face finish before,whatever grade.
Must be a dodgy batch

cheers

I had exactly the same problem recently. I had to source some 6mm MDF quickly and the timber merchants were closed. As I have to order in the 6 MRMDF It would have meant a couple of days wait for it. I got some from B&Q and sprayed a couple of coats of Morrells primer on and it was just as you describe 'shreddies' It took me four coats of primer sanding between with 320 to get it prepared! I shall not be using that again and will wait for the Medite in future.

Back