Problem with metal-cutting bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Not quite a woodworking question, which is why it's here rather than the general section.
Have an Axi horiontal metal cutting bandsaw, the very basic model. Cuts cleanly and saves a lot of time, BUT it has what seems to be a fundamental problem. While everything lines up properly along the line of the blade, the cut is out of true in the vertical plane. It's a bit like drift on a standard vertical wood bandsaw, but it seems it's worse than this, in that putting an engineering square on the bed of the vice and raising/lowering the saw shows that the whole body is not moving up/down at a right angle to the bed, but is moving at about 5 degrees off vertical.
Does anyone have one of these, or have any idea whether it's possible to adjust anything to correct this?

They are Chinese made in someones back yard, I kid you not, hee hee The pivot pins are not in alignment (probably drilled freehand. It may be possible to file one hole, or bore it out then fit a bush that is then shimmed into alignment so that the action runs true. Of course only you can determine in what direction it has to be moved to stop it swinging through the wrong arc. Rather than shimming an eccentric bush would allow movement in any direction, just turn until the action is correct. If it pivots on two bolts you could make the outside one smaller and put the eccentric bush in existing hole

As long as the stand is bolted together well and is rigid and stands in the same spot when in use the easiest option is to put some packers under the Vice fixing bolts.
Found the packing of the vice to be the easiest to get the bed of the vice at right angles to the vertical travel and make sure you check it's at right angles to the blade in the horizontal when you clamp it back, the angle indicator and stop at the back might want adjusting to suit best location for vice.

Wildman":1jkiygoa said:
They are Chinese made in someones back yard, I kid you not, hee hee The pivot pins are not in alignment (probably drilled freehand. It may be possible to file one hole, or bore it out then fit a bush that is then shimmed into alignment so that the action runs true. Of course only you can determine in what direction it has to be moved to stop it swinging through the wrong arc. Rather than shimming an eccentric bush would allow movement in any direction, just turn until the action is correct. If it pivots on two bolts you could make the outside one smaller and put the eccentric bush in existing hole

Thanks WM. I fear you are right about the pivots being bored by a 5 year-old with a Brack and Deckel :( . Re-boring the pivots is the sort of solution I'd been contemplating, as the pivot is a single bar, not separate bolts. Thinking aloud, maybe I could turn down one end of the bar, and then fit an eccentric bush......... hmm, can see some 4-jaw chuck work coming up on the Super 7..........

A version of Chas' workaround is much the more pragmatic answer; the "vice" has a single hole fixing into a slot on a machined plate, so a thin strip epoxied on the the plate should do the trick.

Back