problem with front door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busy builder

Established Member
Reaction score
hello, I have a problem with a half glazed hardwood front door. Don't know if anyone can help me though, it drips with condensation, we've tried a heavy curtain on the back but it doesn't really help.
I painted the front with 2 coats Butinox a few years ago as it was looking a bit tired front the outside. The glass always has condensation on it and it the runs down the lower wood part.
Any ideas before I fit adouble glazed uPVC door which i really don't want to do.

Condensation simply means you have excess water vapour inside your house.
It is mainly a lifestyle thing
if you have insufficient ventilation, dry clothes indoors, boil food without a extractor hood, burn lpg in portable heaters etc all add excess water vapour.
If your door does not have double glazed units in it this might help. If the rebate is not deep enough for a DG unit then you can fit a stepped unit which will fit. Ask your glazier about these.

HTH

Bob

Is it only this door you have the problem with, what about windows in the house

Windows are okay, re drying clothes inside, mmm I'll haver to have a word with SWMBO. The windows are okay, we do get 90% of the weather on the front, we can't dg the glass as it's a 9 pane type door.
This is obviously a problem with damp air not getting out, having sealed housing obviously doesn't help.

Have you considered adding secondary glazing? This can be very simply made and can give a big improvement in the insulation (and hence reduction in condensation). Details would depend on the door, the decor and how much work you want, but it can be as simple as a piece of clear plastic framed with bought moulding strips. (Use some self-adhesive rubber draught proofing strip to make a good seal against the door.)

Back