Problem with Dewalt DW733 thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
This has started to leave dark lines across the planed surface and I think I can also feel very slight ridges. Hopefully this pic shows it ok.
I only take 1/2 mm off at a time and the blades have not had much use.
Any ideas of cause and cure????

IMG_4871.jpg

Mark

Try cleaning the in feed rollers and clean the in feed table / bed , after cleaning with a solvent apply a good coat of wax polish to the bed and try again

Hopefully the timber will now slide easily through the thicknesser

As Blister says, they are roller marks, be careful what solvents you use. I use fine wire wool.

Roy.

Thanks guys.

What solvent is recommended? Are you saying use the wire wool with the solvent?

Mark

I don't disagree with what has been said, but looking at the marks (black lines or not) they are produced by the in feed roller. Now if the roller is clean those marks will still be there but would not have an black colour to them. So you had said in your first post that you only take off 0.5 mm at a time, therefore the in feed roller is making its mark more than 0.5 mm hence the marks. So to correct the problem is to adjust the pressure not easy to do and then you may encounter poor feeding of the wood, or take more than a 0.5 mm cut each pass. I have a record 312 and if I am planing off say 2 mm then pass the same piece of wood back through without adjusting the table height, rough guess at about 0.5 mm those marks appear.

All the best

Malcolm

Malcolm

I've now read you post about 5 times and still struggling to understand exactly what you mean. Are you saying the marks go more than 0.5mm into the wood so I need to plane more than that off?

There are times when I don't want to plane more than that off. Can you explain what you mean about the pressure in the rollers and adjusting it.?

I never used to get these marks.

Thanks

Mark

Are you saying use the wire wool with the solvent?

No solvent. The marks are evenly spaced, this suggests something stuck to the out feed roller or possibly the the cutter block?

Roy.

I can't find the manual at the moment, does anyone know how to turn the rollers by hand.

Mark

Mark, the 733 is a fairly easy beastie to dismantle and clean. I recommend you firstly wind the caqrriage UP as far as it will comfortably go, them whip off the handle and the four allen/hex key headed bolts holding the shell onto the main body. (All that is clearly visible on the top cover). Then, up-end the assebmly, CAREFULLY! as the metal posts waggle ever so slightly, and you should be able to get limited access to the rollers for cleaning. You'll probably get dead annoyed as the tables start to droop down into your way, but what I have described is the least you can do to gain access. A more involved stripdown is quite straightforward, you can see where to go from here by casting an eyeball over the various fittings.

Sam

PS You don't need expensive solvents to clean pitch or resin from machinery; a judicious mix of diesel/heating oil and white spirit, with maybe acetone(nail varnish remover) or meths for lighter compounds will, given enough time, soften most problems.

Do you still get the marks if you put a narrow piece through at either side of the machine?
My hunch is that the blades are blunt and the rollers are having to work harder to drag the wood through and are slipping under load making black marks.
Trying it off to the side should use a sharper part of the knives and less of the problem should be seen.

Bob

Bob
That piece is narrow and thicknessed at one edge of the bed. I tend to put thin pieces through at the edges already to make full use of the blades because as you say the tendancy is to put everything through the middle bit only

Mark

The Bear":3gr7vtj3 said:
Bob
That piece is narrow and thicknessed at one edge of the bed. I tend to put thin pieces through at the edges already to make full use of the blades because as you say the tendancy is to put everything through the middle bit only

Mark

OK that it that idea busted then.
Hope you get it sorted soon. I have the same machine but only had it a short while so I am by no means an expert.

Bob

Well I think I've sorted this now. I rewaxed the beds and cleaned the rollers. Never cleaned them before and didn't realise dust was stuck to them.. No resin though. It's possible to do this from underneath by winding the carriage to the top and reaching under. You can reach the drive belt and turn the cutter block but this doesn't turn the rollers as well. In order to get all round the rollers I just kept flicking on and off until I had got all round the rollers. Plug removed each time of course.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and advise.

Mark

Which is what I do, I only use a solvent if there is resin on the rollers as some soften the rubber.

Roy.

Back