Problem with Axminster Wood Turning Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clactonleeksy

Reaction score
I have just been given a 20 year old APTC M950 lathe. All seems to be in good order and the lathe turns manually without any issues and the belt looks almost new.
However, when I press the starter button the lathe momentarily begins to turn but then almost immediately my fuse box trips (my workshop runs a high powered welder without issue so I don't think it draws too much power).
Anyone got any ideas where I start to fix this ?
Thanks for any help.

I will duplicate my answer from elsewhere so that others know what I ststed before to you.

Unplug and then have a look in the switch box and see if there is a build-up of dust in there, even though it may seem sealed worth doing and cleaning out use a vac if you can. Check any wiring for damage.

If the above fails then go with my comment below.

I think that the electrics need looking at by a qualified electrician

The old lathe I owned, not the same model as yours though, used to blow a fuse on startup.
Being in the electrical game I found it was the centrifugal switch in the motor shorting to earth just after it started to turn.
I can't say for certain if your motor has such a switch but if you look into each end of the motor you might see it along a burn mark where it shorts out.
Filing a piece of metal from the frame increased the distance from the switch contacts.

The switch box is super clean and all the connections look solid. I need to dig out my multimeter and check whether there is any issues with the switches though. There is a centrifugal switch but it looks OK with no marks or charring on it.

The motor itself looks really dirty though with a lot of wood dust inside the casing, I haven't tried to take it apart yet but will try to vacuum it out as best I can, as I'm not sure how easy it will be to take the whole thing to pieces.

Don't really want to spend money on an electrician until I've tried everything I can.

Keep the room dark and look into the motor where the centrifugal switch is located, keep a safe distance away of course, then start it up.
You should see a flash if it's shorting to earth.

If you have a multimeter set it to highest resistance range and test to see if you have an earth fault. I'd start with the live and earth on the plug and see if you are getting any continuity. If you are getting a resistance reading then you have earth leakage. NB not totally conclusive with a multimeter but unless you have an insulation tester its your best bet.

I think its the same lathe I got shipped down from shetland from my dad as the elecrician couldn't fix it. On mine it was the centrifugal switch - the contacts were badly burned and pitted so start cap couldn't engage.

It sounds like I'm not the only one to have had issues with the centrifugal switch. Maybe worth taking the motor off and having a look at it? .

Back