Problem with a wax finish.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKev

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with a clear briwax finish on some Walnut.

I'm following instructions off a Us site.

Its 4 coats of an oil / polyurethane mix first.

It starts with 1/3 wiping varnish, then 1/3 boiled linseed oil, then the final 1/3 is just white spirit.

The Walnut is sanded to 240 and each coat is slightly burnished before the next.

After 4 coats you apply a coat of the briwax.

The problem....it seems to leave tiny flecks of white in the grain.

Any ideas why. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks

Sounds like too much wax applied and residual wax not removed from the pores is drying out white as solvents disperse.
Try buffing surface with a fine bristle brush to remove wax from open pores.

No. You put a sealer on, the 4 coats of Oil/Poly.
The Walnut is an opened pore wood. Either find a finish that doesn't show White in the pores, fill the pores first or stop using the wax. The brush should work though. Maybe gently warm the surface of the wood and then buff vigorously in the direction of the grain with the brush. You need a clean shoe shine type brush. The pores are filling up with wax, there's no other explanation.

Of no help whatsoever with solving the original problem but I am intrigued as to why the need to use a home brew concoction finish.
I use a lot of Walnut offcuts and and a hard wax finish and find just plain cellulose sanding sealer fine.

If I was looking for a more robust or moisture tolerant oil finish I would just use several coats of propriety hard wax oil.

Page 4 & 5 of this PDF leaflet shows some walnut with a gloss hard wax finish.

The Oil will darken and pop the grain a bit more that sanding sealer/shellac.
Still, either straight Shellac or one of the Danish Oils is fine.

Back