Problem with a very old chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclemaster

Reaction score
I have an old lathe with a Maxi-Grip 2000 chuck (c.1995). Instead of a scroll, it has a rotating barrel which opens and closes the jaws using half-circular levers. It has jammed in the open position and I cannot remember which way to turn the barrel to unjam and close the jaws. Can any senior wood turner remember this chuck and help? Is it a "normal" thread or left-handed?

Is the 'Barrel' on the front? If it is I would suggest it would be normal clockwise to tighten (opposite to chuck rotation, self tightening by inertia)
If it is to the rear of the chuck then suspect it would be anti-clockwise to tighten, looking from the rear.
If it's a band in the middle...?

Thanks for your comments. Photo did not load first time.

Chuck.jpg

The photo shows the 2 sections of the chuck and the holes used by the two spanners. I hope this clarifies your comments.

Attachments

• Chuck.jpg
    Chuck.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 60
When I have jammed parts with close torerances I often soak them for a week in diesel fuel and then carefully tap the spanner both ways with a rubber mallet until someting frees up. You feel in which direction things want to move.

We certainly have different references. To me a very old chuck would at least be manufactured before the first world war.

Back