problem submitting posts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Something strange going on over the last few weeks which I assume is a problem with my laptop :?

When I preview my post and then submit, it just sits there with the activity circle wiring around and doesn't submit. If I leave it long enough, it times out.
My only solution is to copy my text, cancel the post and re-submit without preview.

If I don't preview first, it always submits first time.

Any ideas anyone? It's driving me nuts :evil: :evil:

Bob

No idea, Bob, but I find that I get this on a lot of sites...regardless of browser..and usually end up cancelling and then refreshing the page. Other gremlins I get from time to time are the browsers asking me to log in when I'd ticked the box to stay logged in.

Just tried this post and previewed for a couple of minutes to see if it baulks because of time outs etc.
chadpics.gif

Did the preview a couple of times for prolonged viewing .
Posting was instantaneous each time.

Attachments

• chadpics.gif
    chadpics.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 432
I get a sense that packets get dropped or arrive too late and that because defensive programming seems a lost art and coupled with the complexity of today's browsers et al then the browser/whatever ends up in a 'deadly embrace'. Cancelling the page load in the browser and then resubmitting it effectively resets the browser action and cancels the 'deadly embrace' but this time if the packets get through OK then all is well.

Blister":3cril16x said:
Sounds like your PC is full of virus's , spy bots and all other PC nasty s

They all slow a PC to a crawl :(

I'm extremely careful and vigilant Blister and my pc is as clean as a whistle so definately not the culprit.
It could be some of the settings I've overlooked though.

Roger: Your theory seems logical but it's strange that this is the only website where it happens to me.

CHJ":2gepxj9d said:
Just tried this post and previewed for a couple of minutes to see if it baulks because of time outs etc.

Did the preview a couple of times for prolonged viewing .
Posting was instantaneous each time.

Must be something in my system then.

I'm running Win7 32 bit and it was a clean re-install as I formatted a couple of months ago, as I do at least once a year.
I'm selective about which MS updates I install as from experience they aren't bug free but am still suspicious that could be part of the problem so need to backtrack when I get time.
cheers

Bob

Must admit all my machines are kept up to date with all updates from MS, and my AV software often reminds me that it needs the latest update from MS to compliment it's latest change if the MS auto update has not had time to click in. I am still running XP though.

Might your problems be associated with any settings you have set regarding off site referral links associated with adverts etc.

Yes Chas, it is possible as I do try to reduce advert intrusiuon as much as possible and the old memory ain't what it was in the days of dos and early programming. I've really got to scratch my head these days and it's only the old experience of knowing where to look rather than remember how that saves me sometimes.

I posted really to see if I was the only one with the problem, and it seems so. I'm off for an extended hol down under in 3 weeks time and have a mountain of work to complete first so I doubt I'll have time to do the detective stuff before then. I'll be taking a netbook and my iphone which aren't affected and my XP desktop is ok as well. it's just this win7 laptop :?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Bob

EDIT.............. Bloody hell... it's just posted first time after a preview.... it's been scared into it :lol:

Latest posts

Back