Problem sewage treatment system - pump?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
We replaced our old sewage tank for a new sewage treatment system a few years ago at our cottage. We went away on Friday and I turned the water off at the mains to avoid burst pipes etc. we arrived back this afternoon to find a horrendous rattling noise coming from the vent from the pump. It doesn't have an off switch but only be turned on and off at the main fuse box. I didn't switch the fuse off when we left. Would turning the water off while we were away have affected the water treatment system without turning it off at the main fuse board if it wasn't in use whilst away? The rattling noise sounds an expensive noise.

Going to in the morning - just wondering if it's safe to leave on tonight

What does this pump handle? Clean water or 'mixed solids & liquid.

Having had some experience in the past with off-mains sewage systems, I've not come across one that needs a pump other than the dreaded Saniflow -behind the bog type systems used indoors.

Bob

Could it be something as simple as the pump is running dry because there was no effluent passing through?

Having worked on a few in my time that was my first thought as well, worth checking.

Roy.

The system was about £6,000 four years ago. It treats all of the waste from the house - solids etc and treats and hen outlets as treated water into a ditch around the land. I've just got hold of the company and they said it should be oe ok to run it without the pump for a few days. He said it may be a split diaphragm. They can't come out until after Christmas now but said I can run it win the pump off. Not brilliant but they day it won't be detrimental for a few days. It was due a service I the summer but we never got around to it

This system sounds like one we had where i used to work. The pump on that was aerating the sludge by pumping air through it to encourage the natural bugs to digest the waste, the resultant liquid was relatively clear and was allowed to soak away in the ground much as the run off from a septic tank can be drained away.

Bob

Rob_H":w99ckz3e said:
Yes, that's the one.

The worst that can happen is that it will fill up with un digested solids and you will have to get it pumped out.
Some of the bugs will die due to lack of air but you and the chickens will provide fresh ones which will be fine once you get some air pumping again.
I can't see that the pump noise/failure would have been anything to do with turning the water off but always a good idea to turn off all but essential electrics, water and fuel off before leaving the property for any length of time.

Bob

Latest posts

Back