Problem Preparing Stock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice Philly and WHW. I will remember to alternate the boards when planning as I can see this will eliminate the effects of an out of true fence. My main problem is that I sometimes get left with a gap at the end of the planks. Not always though, so I must not be keeping the correct pressure on the board as I feed it in or get to the end of the plank. I try to keep the pressure on the infeed part of the planner when starting the pass and then transfer the downward pressure to the outfeed when its part way through. The last time I was planning a couple of small planks (30 inches) I just could not seem to get it right and after 3 or 4 passes on the planner, before the planks got too thin I tried a pass on the router (which has got a split fence) with more success (one pass was enough). I think its just a matter of more practice on the planner! One thing as a beginner I have just weaned myself off (I hope) is forgetting that the grain of the wood has a bearing on the direction of planning!

Alex,

I also have the SIP 6" planer and had the same problem. In my case I discovered that the infeed table was not coplanar with the outfeed table. No matter how you set the fence, it will only be square with one of the tables.
To check it, lay a straight edge across the outfeed table and jutting over the infeed table on on side of the table. Then wind up the infeed until it just touches the part of the straight edge that is jutting out over it. Move the straight edge over to the other side and if you get a gap between it and either table, then it isn't square.
Trouble is that you can't adjust the infeed. I gave SIP a ring about mine and was told to return it.
If this is your trouble, then I would give SIP a ring first (check their website) and then take it back. I got a replacement and apart from a couple of 'bumps' on the blades (advised by SIP guy at a local demo to smooth off with a diamond stone) it works just luverly.

It sounds like you have the same problem as I had and there is no cure apart from a replacment. Shame as they are really well made machines for the price and the odd lemon can sour everyone's perception of them.

bg":3bv3i4kx said:
My main problem is that I sometimes get left with a gap at the end of the planks.
BG
Sounds like you're getting snipe.
Check that your blades are set just the tinsyest bit higher than the outfeed table.
Generally I get around most planer/thicknesser setup problems regarding slight snipe by cutting the timber too long, planing and thicknessing it and then cutting down to exact length. I allow 120mm extra length for this with my setup.
At the end of the day, I find this works better than spending hours adjusting planer knives!

Hi Aragorn,
Thanks for the tip, I think it must be snipe (and it gives my goodself a chance to blame the tools for a change) . I think I will get into the habbit of cutting a little oversize.
Cheers

Back