Problem locking CT 150 fence at 90 degree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had very little time lately in the workshop. I have only got time to assemble my new CT 150 yesterday and before I rang any piece of timber through I got frustrated with the fence.
I have set the screw stops to have the fence at 90 degree but when I lock the fence with the lever it moves the fence off square.

I hope some owners out there can help?

Let's not talk about the manual :x

Hi CYC,

Is the manual on Axminster's site any better? Or is it the same as the one which came with the machine?

NeilCFD

CYC,

If you haven't already done so go here:
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?a ... nual_index
Scroll down to the Jointer section and download the manual for the JJ-6CSX, this is the US version of your CT 150 and although I haven't looked at it it will, no doubt, be more comprehensive than the Axminster version.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks Noely, however the fence locking mechanism is not the same as the CT150.
I guess I need words from someone who has this machine. Anyone??? :?

And there I was thinking it was the same. Hope you get it sorted.

Noel

Hi CYC

I wish I was some Knight in shining armour to rescue you from your problem, but I have been looking at the matter in the workshop today and I'm afraid I can't really help. Whenever I move the fence which is hardly ever I reset it with an engineer's square. If I use the stops it will be good enough for most things but there will always be a little light to be seen through the square. Not more than 5 minutes of a degree though I expect. I suppose the trick for you would be to set it wrong with a feeler gauge and then do it up with the lever pulling it into position. Obviously if you change the angle of the fence a lot it would be advantageous if it went back to the 90 degree position easily, but from my experience it it is nearly always left at 90 and the odd time I change it is not worth worrying about.
Really sorry that I can't be more helpful.

All the best

John

I must stress that I'm only going on the pictures in the manual, but I assume the fence is pulled up out of alignment when the tilt lever is tightened i.e. so that the top of the fence moves away from the work area, toward the lever.

If that's the case, I'm guessing that during adjustment the slackness of the locking bolt (that the lever locks) alows the weight of the fence to open a small gap in the tilt joint. If so, could you try greasing the tilt joint so that the angle is adjustable without loosening the tilt lever off as far?

This is just what I might try in your situation, not particularly informed advice, as I don't have the machine in question.

Good luck

Martyn

I do not know this particular machine but if I am reading the problem right friction between the lever and fence cause the fence to follow the lever when you tighten it.If this is the case it is possible that a flat washer (lubricated),inserted between the lever and it's bed will cure the problem

Thanks very much Johnjin.
I got a go at it last night (in a rush again :( ) and I seem to have sorted it out. The problem is I am not sure how :!: but I am guessing that Johnjin you were close to being the Knight in shiny armour afterall :wink:
If I use the stops it will be good enough for most things but there will always be a little light to be seen through the square.
What I did is pull back the stops (bolts), set the fence using my square and tighten it. The fence didn't move this time :shock: so then once locked I repositioned the stops. Now I seem to be able to undo the fence move it, place it back against the stops and lock without putting the fence offsquare.
I am not sure if this is really the reason why it's fixed because I fiddled a bit with it, but hey! it's working now 8) . I realise I won't be using it much outside of the 90 degree so I am happy.
Now on to set the table beds and blades :roll:

Thanks Rattie and Jaymar for your suggestions. They sound good, I would have certainly tried them next.

Back