Probably an old idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

but...... here it is in case anyone else is struggling to hold wood whilst planing :wink:

Today I was planing the side pieces for some divider frames to fit my dado's and decided I needed a better end stop than a piece of wood simply pushed against the bench dogs.

When I made my own bench it seemed to me that round dog holes were easiest and that's what I have - the dogs have flat faces though

I cut a piece of scrap beech and drilled a couple of 22mm holes to snugly fit over the dogs and voila. It works much better than the old way as I can now plane outside of the dogs which means the work piece is closer to my body and the job is much easier :D

Planing_stop.JPG

Aragorn":2ub1aupr said:
Is that rust on your LN mate?? :wink:

No it is not :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :p

It's a reflection of the benchtop :wink:

If you don't want to use/don't have the dogs, clamp the stop piece to the bench with a right angled cross bar on it: Ian Kirby uses this set up on his 'minimalist' bench - calls it something like a 'bench square', IIRC

Wasn't that the first tip Noah sent into "What Ark Builder"..? :wink: But the old ones are the best, of course. :roll: :lol: Actually that's not strictly true; usually it's shown with dowels attached to the stop that drop into the holes, but the basic principle is the same. An alternative is to put a similar full width stop bolted to the end of your bench top that can be slid up or down to allow for different thicknesses of timber, and tightened in place.

Cheers, Alf

Nailing the end of the work to the bench works well too - you need a centrepunch to drive the nail head firmly beneath the surface of the stock, so as to protect the blade, but it leaves a lovely 'used' effect on the bench after working it out with a nail puller/crowbar/hammer. :p

Shady":2rynhouh said:
Nailing the end of the work to the bench works well too -

I don't know, I think that maybe you should do 100 lines :shock:
"I will not nail the job down, I will buy a good jig from nice Mr. Tony" :D
To be handed in before your allowed out to the pub :wink:

Bean":267igh27 said:
Tony I thought it was a good idea :D

Bean

Leicester lads solidarity

Thanks Bean, I knew I could count on a fellow (near) leicester lad :wink:

Shady, wish you'd told me BEFOERE I spent hours and hours making the jig :evil:

To Tony

I hope those bolts holding the stop are well countersunk.
the photograph gives the impression they might be proud.

Back