Private message query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
click on their picture (or yours says no image). up pops a box with a small grey ice of an envelope. click on that.

it is easy enough when you have done it but hard to find and not intuative at all.

when you send a message it sits in your outbox until it has been read so dont worry why it hasn't "sent".

Not trying to be "clever" marcros, but what you've described above doesn't work for me, and never has done since the new Forum software - e.g. I just clicked on your header pic, and just nothing"! (But you're dead right about it being "not obvious" though)!

Perhaps the OP is same as me?

What I have to do is go to the RH box of the Threads pages ("User Tools") then click on "User Control Panel"). When that (new page) comes up I have to go to the LH panel there and click on "Private Messages", and from there click on "Submit New Message".

I then need to go to bottom LH of that same page and either type in the user's name (if I know it) OR if not, click on the member's list until I find the name.

Still on that same page I then have to click on the "to" on the name/s I'm trying to send the PM to (if more than one name I have to click on either "cc" (copy) or "bcc" (blind copy), as appropriate.

The names then appear in another box on the RH side of that same page, with the name/s selected or typed in appearing in either the "to", "cc", or "bcc" lines, as appropriate.

BUT BEFORE typing into the big text space for the new message, I MUST 1st type in a message header (other wise it won't send the PM).

After typing the actual message I then go right down to the bottom of that text box and either click on "Submit" or on "Save as Draft" (or I think there's "Preview" too, but I never use that myself).

The above is all true forme, 'onest injuns marcros!

But it does take longer to type or read the above than it does to send the actual PM - once you've worked it all out!

BTW, and just for the OP, after pressing "Submit", you'll see your message sitting in your "Out" box . Only when the recipient/s of your message have opened it in their own computer/s will you see that your PM has moved from your "Out" box to your "Sent" box. That last point comes up here quite frequently - as marcros says, the system here is not exactly "intuitive"!

But well worth getting the hang of IMO - like the whole hassle of posting pix, which is "something else entirely"! - this is an excellent Forum with great members.

HTH

how strange. your way sounds even worse than my fiddly way but if it is the only way then you have no choice.

I am on a Mac, dont know if it makes a difference.

The envelope is actually an email, the speech bubbles a PM, although I'm not certain how they are different and they were sometimes transposed anyway. After an initial PM I find it easier and better to communicate by emails anyway.

Yes marcros, the way you describe never has worked for me (I'm, on a PC with Win 7, never used May - like you, I have no idea what differenced - if any - that makes).

@nev: Thanks for taking the trouble nev, it's appreciated. But my screen doesn't look much like that at all - as said, I can click (L or R) on a member's pic or name and nothing happens (sorry, not quite true, L click produces a lot of "gobbledygook, but no link to a member. It's R click that does nothing at all).

No problem, I've got used to "the clumsy method" described above. And I don't know how closely you follow members posts, but in my case it's entirely possible - "likely" even, that I'll be ditching Windows altogether soon. Meantime, I manage thanks, and as said in my last post, IMO, it's worth it.

@nev: Sorry, I forgot to say, I have no ad blockers at all AFAIK (e.g. I often see an ad linking to Axi's web site and others similar when opening, and often all sorts of other ads too - including ads from Swiss companies - at the RH side of the page as I page through various threads).

No problem for me - maybe if I was using a phone, which I don't

AES":21jpbt8w said:
Yes marcros, the way you describe never has worked for me (I'm, on a PC with Win 7, never used May - like you, I have no idea what differenced - if any - that makes).

@nev: Thanks for taking the trouble nev, it's appreciated. But my screen doesn't look much like that at all - as said, I can click (L or R) on a member's pic or name and nothing happens (sorry, not quite true, L click produces a lot of "gobbledygook, but no link to a member. It's R click that does nothing at all).

No problem, I've got used to "the clumsy method" described above. And I don't know how closely you follow members posts, but in my case it's entirely possible - "likely" even, that I'll be ditching Windows altogether soon. Meantime, I manage thanks, and as said in my last post, IMO, it's worth it.

Left clicking on your name (aes) at the top of your post, gives me a potted history of your forum use. at the right side is info about you. at the bottom of that info box are two (for want of a better term) buttons. One is for emails, which has never worked for me. the other outermost one is almost greyed out on my screen, but that should show (PM) when you hover the mouse over it.
Try that with my name on this post.

phil.p":afe0e6id said:
The envelope is actually an email, the speech bubbles a PM, although I'm not certain how they are different and they were sometimes transposed anyway. After an initial PM I find it easier and better to communicate by emails anyway.

other way round for me, envelope is pm (makes sense to be an email) and the speech bubbles are emails!

Must be something in your settings I would think AES, have you looked at your antivirus settings?
I'm using a laptop running Win 7 and have absolutely no problems, just clicked on Marcros avatar and get the mini profile box including PM and Email icons also clicked on user name which gives a full profile screen. Can get the same results clicking on your avatar / name.

AES":1tirpxrp said:
Just tried as you suggested on my own name sunnybob. Nix, 'onest!

No matter :D

Go to your user control panel
click BOARD PREFERENCES
click EDIT GLOBAL SETTINGS
Click YES on the first three check boxes.

Then try again.

@sunnybob: All 3 settings (and more) have been set to Yes for yonks (just checked again, still Yes). No difference.

I appreciate all the efforts to help chaps, thanks a lot, but as said, I'm managing and at least SOME changes will be made to/"inside" AES' PC before too much longer. :D

Back