Printing Garbage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Anyone any ideas?

I recently gave my wife my Epson 740, which has a USB input, so she could use it on her laptop, which does not have a printer port. I had her Epson 600, which does not.

Now the 660 is on my PC, it prints garbage all the time, like there is junk in the buffer. As soon as I switch it on, away it goes, page after page.

I've deleted the driver and let it reinstall, I've rebooted the PC, done everything I can think of. It was fine before I moved it. I don't print very often, and I could use hers over the network, but I'm loathe to throw it away unless it really is dead.

Can anyone help?
Thanks very much.

Hi Ray,
Yes, it's on LPT1.

Alan,
Hmm. I have XP Pro, the old laptop had W98 and the new Tosh has XP Home. Both PC and the Tosh have SP2 installed. I'll download and try. But the printer goes into overdrive as soon as it fires up, not when I'm trying to print (haven't got that far!)

Thanks for your ideas.

Cheers
Steve

Steve

Does it do this even when disconnected from the PC?

Or..sounds like you've got something stuck in the parallel printer port buffer but not sure where that is to flush it.

Try deleting the printer from control panel and then reinstalling

Or look at the print queue to see if there is anything there

If you have files still in the buffer, this happens, loads of printed rubbish.

The easiest way is to play a little game of "how many times can you hit the power button in 5 seconds" - really, it works. You need to turn the printer on and off really quick for a few seconds - this clears the buffer :wink:

But make sure your using the correct printer driver as well

Andy

steve
Uninstall your printer [:arrow: =GOTO]
you sometimes need to clear the registry of your printer as well try the following after you have backed up your registry:

Press Start Button :arrow: Run:
type Regedit then click OK
:arrow: Edit
:arrow: Find Type Epson in the find what box click on find next when it finds a key/string or data
Delete highlighted item by going to edit delete
then click find next keep repeating the steps until no more items are found

close the registry then reinstall your printer

Thank you all for your help, but it is to no avail, unfortunately.

Epson don't seem to do a specific XP driver for this, they offer W98, W200 and WNT. THe Europe site suggest the W200 one for XP, and it all seems to install OK until the end when there is some message (I don't have it verbatim) to the effect that there is a problem with the MSDOS 16-bit subsystem. I don't know whether this is caused by the fact that my installation was an upgrade from 98 to XP, rather than a virgin XP installation, or what. But it still doesn't like it. Actually along the way the problem has changed - st one stage it was just feeding sheets ad infinitum, but without printing, so at least I wasn't wasting ink. But now it is back to infinite garbage. Anyway it proves it is a driver problem. But I really think it is easier to go and buy a new flippin printer. AAAARRRGGHHH!!!!!

Thank you all.
Cheers
Steve

Steve

If you buy a new printer you could still have the same problems you will have to make sure that ALL previous printers are uninstalled including doing a registry clean otherwise the new printer may not work properly

Well guys,

Before I went to bed last night I had another look. A new printer driver had appeared... Epson 660 ESC/p2. I had not deliberately installed that, it's found it from somewhere. I don't like it when it does that.

Anyway, deleted the old one and used that and all shall be well.

We'll see how we get on.

BTW I think I discovered why it was continuing to feed sheets. The PC was generating something called an Epson WSBAC Dummy Print Data file. It wasn't WSBAC, but five letters like that, can't remember, didn't write them dowm. The more I removed them from the print queue, the more they appeared.

I hate printers, and am less and less keen on computers. Except I need one for this Forum!

Thank you all
Steve

Edit - sorry about the large number of typos in this post. I hate it when post are unreadable. My only excuse is that I didn't have my contact lenses in at the time! :)

When I brought my scanner over from win 98 to xp, xp could not find a driver for such a device Tiny [suppliers ]did not have a driver on website for that model in the end I down loaded one from here where someone made one for the type of scanner.
http://www.driverguide.com/

Lot of clever people on that site making up drivers, but beware to scan every driver you down load

Cheers

Back