Primus improved smoothing plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin Wilding

Reaction score
I have a problem with the plane I have had it for a number of years but every time I use it no matter what adjustment I make the iron keeps moving in the body of the tool and I am constantly adjusting it.I wonder whether its me or the plane. Can anybody HELP?

Hi Colin, firstly welcome to the forum!

Is "primus" the brand of the plane, excuse me if i'm being stupid here.

Make sure the cap iron screw is tight to hold the iron and cap iron together and straight. Leaving about 1-3mm gap from the cutting edge of the iron. Then Adjust the lever cap screw so that when you lock on the lever cap it is quite tight to pull to lock.

If you have already made these adjustments and they do not work, please post again and maybe I or someone else can help you on this one.

(If the brand name isn't primus, what brand is the plane?)

Simon.

Thanks for that but I have already made the adjustments, everything is as tight as I can get it and it still moves around. I am getting really frustrated. Yes it is a primus I have had it for a number of years.

Regards Colin

Hi Colin

I have the same plane - ECE Primus. I think that Simon is confusing the plane with a normal Bailey pattern plane, which of course it isn't. The adjustment mechanism is entirely different.

I have had the same problem as you (blade skewing out of square when trying to take a cut) and have absolutely no idea on how you remedy the problem. Rob (Woodbloke) did a modification to his. He may be kind enough to post a pic sometime soon....... :D

Sorry can't be of any further help, but I too would like to know how you are supposed to adjust these planes.

Cheers

Karl

Have you tensioned the spring? It needs to be very taught. The spring effectively pulls the blade against the frog (or bed) and then you advance the top depth adjuster to advance the blade through the mouth. Other than that I've no idea. There isn't much else that can be wrong - perhaps the blade isn't sitting on the frog correctly, perhaps a badly warped blade or the actual bed is not flat.
I never really got on with that type of plane , removing and replacing the blade for sharpening purposes was too fussy - a simple wedge system is so much easier and quicker. Having said that your Primus should still plane wood to a very high standard.

Colin,

Check the blade's bedding. When the blade is installed and tightened up, the blade back should be supported by the two metal studs at the top of the bedding, and the arris of the blade (where the bevel begins) should be solid against the ramp, at the mouth opening. Can you get a feeler gauge, or thin strip of paper, between the studs and the blade back. Or working from below, between the blade back and ramp?

Wiley

I had the same plane a few years back and had the same issues. Traded it to a guy, after I explained my issues. He drill & tapped holes and inserted screws on each side of the blade similar to what lee Valley uses on their planes and cured the issue.

T.Z.

Hi Lads.
thank you very much for your support. I shall follow the instructions and see if it solves the problem. I wasn't going to burn the plane really, I was only joking :D

regards Colin

Hi Lads,

Thank you all for your input. dave warren emailed me the emmerich rep in the states he sent me the instructions . I have now got fine ribbon like shavings the full width of the cutter coming from the plane and the wood shines. I have now put the fire out. :D

Thank you all again may bump into you at Harrogate.

Best Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

Could you PM me the details - i've just got the firelighter out..... :lol:

Chees

Karl

karl":1ol8j5sr said:
Hi Colin

I have had the same problem as you (blade skewing out of square when trying to take a cut) and have absolutely no idea on how you remedy the problem. Rob (Woodbloke) did a modification to his. He may be kind enough to post a pic sometime soon....... :D

Cheers

Karl

Karl - now you've got me really confuzzled :? I've got an Ulmia Reform smoother (similar sort of continental plane with a horned tote) but it don't have a blade adjustment mechanism (it does have an adjustable mouth) I don't use it much...it just sits under the bench, along with all the other ones :oops: - Rob

woodbloke":1zlh8ng4 said:
karl":1zlh8ng4 said:
Hi Colin

Cheers

Karl

Karl - now you've got me really confuzzled :? I've got an Ulmia Reform smoother (similar sort of continental plane with a horned tote) but it don't have a blade adjustment mechanism (it does have an adjustable mouth) I don't use it much...it just sits under the bench, along with all the other ones :oops: - Rob

Thank your lucky stars. Probably a better plane or at least it's easier/quicker to sharpen the blade.

Rob - I thought the Lever Cap (?) was your modification to the Ulmia? I didn't realise it had a cap like that from the manufacturer, and originally had the same crappy cap iron which the Primus has.

Cheers

karl

karl":1znzj0y8 said:
Rob - I thought the Lever Cap (?) was your modification to the Ulmia? I didn't realise it had a cap like that from the manufacturer, and originally had the same crappy cap iron which the Primus has.

Cheers

karl

Hi Karl - this pic shows the original plane that I got from PFT for the princely sum of £12:

kksdmgfkkdf.jpg

with the original screw down cap iron. I did a moderate refurb on this... part of which was to replace the bolt on the cap iron:

55s1f1.jpg

...with a Derek of Oz style bolt - Rob

Rob - I obviously got my wires crossed somewhere. The only picture I had previously seen of your plane was the second one, and I assumed that it had come with the Primus style blade, cap iron and adjuster.

Cheers

Karl

Back