Priming a briquette press hydraulic system.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.
Any know how to prime this system.
Ive just changed the bearings in the motor and now need to get the air out the system.
Thanks
Gaff.
776A2AEE-31E5-46F6-9FE7-7CC30F5E647D.jpeg

4A6F1699-C9A3-40CD-A01D-6521858BCAEB.jpeg

A0A177BF-3F40-4C95-9C27-3CFF8C208818.jpeg

On a log splitter I use you have to loosen off a nipple and then run the pump until no bubbles come out but that’s in the instructions.

How do you find the machine? I thought about getting one a few years ago but imagined it was probably more faff and expense than it was worth – would welcome being put right. Ian

@Geoff
Is that the axminster 6" surfacer you have there off to the side ?
Thoughts on that ?, I've wondered how people got on with it only being 6" wide, kind of felt that was too narrow

How do you find the machine? I thought about getting one a few years ago but imagined it was probably more faff and expense than it was worth – would welcome being put right. Ian
Hi Ian.
I have a small shop but still in one sitting I can produce 4 bags of shavings.
It didn't take long to figure out getting rid of the shavings was going to be a bl***y nightmare. At £50 a ton to dump at the local tip and only 1/4 of that needed to fill the van to the gunnels.
Nobody who makes briquettes want to pick up small amounts like that they're only interested in RORO skips full.
So did you hear the one about the bloke who paid two and a half grand to a bloke in Latvia on Ebay.
It arrived broken, it was continuously tripping out the electrics and I had to become an electrical engineer to figure out what on earth was going on, found the hopper motor had a dead short in it.
The bloke I bought it from on Ebay wasn't happy that I stopped his payment but in the end the Czechia manufactures were and still are being really helpful.
They shipped out a new motor under warranty no questions asked and the part was changed and fixed captain Ebay got paid and I started processing 40 odd bags of sawdust.
The press it's self has been working really well for the last 3 years. It's by far the hardest working machine in the workshop it's run for hundreds of hours. It's slow with the light fluffy shavings I feed it (it can take 8 hours to process 4 bags) but faster on sawdust. It's noisy but I can still hear the radio stood 15ft away.
It broke after a lump of wood got in the hopper and wedged in so the hopper stirrer couldn't rotate but that was my fault and a quick weld on a nut sorted that out and it turned up with a pinprick hole in the rear weld of the ram but I just hang a tray under that with some sawdust in it. I've only changed the sawdust twice in all the time I've had it.
The thing is what do you do with the shavings well it costs £50 to dump and pence to briquette. I now have 3 log burning stoves so I'm paying pence to heat my home, it's a no brainer .
Profilis the manufactures have answered every email I've sent about the ram motor by the next morning, it's now fixed and running fine again.
Hope this helps.
G.

general hyd procedure...
make sure the res is full to the upper limit level......
crack open the valve body blanks just a tad including the pressure hose.....just 1/2 a turn.....
make a brew and let gravity do the work.....
quite often thats all u'll need......
only in extreme cases do u need to power up and bleed.....
on low pressure stuff like ur machine it's ok but can be messy......
I used to work on Hydraulics upto 5,000psi....that can be a bit dodgy when bleeding.....hahaha....

Hi Ian.
I have a small shop but still in one sitting I can produce 4 bags of shavings.
It didn't take long to figure out getting rid of the shavings was going to be a bl***y nightmare. At £50 a ton to dump at the local tip and only 1/4 of that needed to fill the van to the gunnels.
Nobody who makes briquettes want to pick up small amounts like that they're only interested in RORO skips full.
So did you hear the one about the bloke who paid two and a half grand to a bloke in Latvia on Ebay.
It arrived broken, it was continuously tripping out the electrics and I had to become an electrical engineer to figure out what on earth was going on, found the hopper motor had a dead short in it.
The bloke I bought it from on Ebay wasn't happy that I stopped his payment but in the end the Czechia manufactures were and still are being really helpful.
They shipped out a new motor under warranty no questions asked and the part was changed and fixed captain Ebay got paid and I started processing 40 odd bags of sawdust.
The press it's self has been working really well for the last 3 years. It's by far the hardest working machine in the workshop it's run for hundreds of hours. It's slow with the light fluffy shavings I feed it (it can take 8 hours to process 4 bags) but faster on sawdust. It's noisy but I can still hear the radio stood 15ft away.
It broke after a lump of wood got in the hopper and wedged in so the hopper stirrer couldn't rotate but that was my fault and a quick weld on a nut sorted that out and it turned up with a pinprick hole in the rear weld of the ram but I just hang a tray under that with some sawdust in it. I've only changed the sawdust twice in all the time I've had it.
The thing is what do you do with the shavings well it costs £50 to dump and pence to briquette. I now have 3 log burning stoves so I'm paying pence to heat my home, it's a no brainer .
Profilis the manufactures have answered every email I've sent about the ram motor by the next morning, it's now fixed and running fine again.
Hope this helps.
G.
Thanks G, that sounds brilliant apart from maybe the noise! But as you say it’s saving you a lot of money one way or another. It says you’re in Lincolnshire, I’m up at the north end, just curious, not many of us on here. Ian

Gaff that's a great story!

clogs has the full process. NB (apologies if you're aware) many hydraulic rams bleed air naturally through movement, so running the rams back and forth a couple of times will shift any air in the rams. Assuming you have oil in the pump. Source: that's how it works on tractors.

Gaff that's a great story!

clogs has the full process. NB (apologies if you're aware) many hydraulic rams bleed air naturally through movement, so running the rams back and forth a couple of times will shift any air in the rams. Assuming you have oil in the pump. Source: that's how it works on tractors.
Hi GM
The problem was the pump was empty and the pump is the highest part of the system.
Anyway the manufacturers got back to me with a really hi-tec answer pour oil in the intake pipe so I took the pipe off the tank turned the pipe upside down and pored oil in with a quick start stop of the motor and reconnected it all and now its running better then ever.
Thanks anyway.
G.

Thanks G, that sounds brilliant apart from maybe the noise! But as you say it’s saving you a lot of money one way or another. It says you’re in Lincolnshire, I’m up at the north end, just curious, not many of us on here. Ian
Sorry Ian.
Not many of us on here.
Do you mean from Lincolnshire?
G.

May I ask what size the pellets are? I've looked at the pictures and don't see any strays laying around to get an idea of the size.

Pete

May I ask what size the pellets are? I've looked at the pictures and don't see any strays laying around to get an idea of the size.

Pete
Hi Pete
They look like this.
FE05804B-9771-4501-9CBB-C40EAEBD4748.jpeg

my secret stash I started in a May
0B080F7C-5D8F-4CC9-8FFE-32EC12FD98A0.jpeg

and heres a link to the YouTube vid I to decide on if I should get one.

G.

Bigger than I thought. I had pictured the ones that make the small animal feed pellets or maybe a bit bigger. The last place I worked had a "pucker" for the aluminium swarf that came of a line of 3 high speed milling machines. The pucks were about 100mm across and 25mm thick and they made tons every week. It was basically a bigger version of the one you have. The scrap hauler foot the bill for it to make their life easier. 😉

Pete

Back