Primary Bevel options advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcdemon

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok would like some advice.
I need to re-establish a primary bevel on one of my plane irons.
in the past I have managed this with 400 grit diamond stone but it is now very worn and would take too long.
So options as I see it are-
1. Replace the diamond stone with a new one.
2. Buy a course water stone but I fear this will wear very quickly. I have a 1000 & 6000 grit already.
3. Buy a cheap 6” bench grinder as I do not have enough use to warrant a wet grinders cost. I am also concerned that a bench grinders tool rests are generally very small as a reference point.

I would appreciate guidance on this one please.

I re-establish primary bevels on my plane blades and chisels with the white wheel on a cheap 6" grinder but you do need to buy a robust tool rest. As you say, the rests provided on cheap grinders are very poor.

John

You could make a plywood tool rest for the grinder, white stones are great. A coarse diamond stone should last a fair time, just don't push hard on them-let the diamonds do the work, or buy some 80 micron Scary sharp thats around 180 grit. If you have chunks missing out of your tools the grinder is the way to go.

Thanks for the answers.
Does anyone use a course waterstone 220g or similar?

I was advised to purchase this spec: 38A46-JVS, by someone very knowledgeable, a few years ago. I stuck with the grade as it works for me on my 8" grinder.

Whilst wheel composition is a technical area, all I need to know is it works: it is a soft and friable composition, quite cool cutting, the 'T' shaped diamond dressing blocks are really good for dressing the wheel and keeping the surface clean.

Sorry for the obvious bit: bench grinders are dangerous! As an apprentice vehicle technician in the early 80's, we were taught to check for cracks before fitting a grinding wheel to a bench grinder, by tapping it and listening for an audible 'ring'. A cracked one would sound 'dull' by comparison. Also the horror stories of a cracked wheel exploding at several thousand revs scared me into respecting bench grinders from a tender age!

I got mine from this firm who were very helpful on the 'phone:
Abrasive Services
Tel : 01462 730886

Back