primary bevel for chisels quesry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek S

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the veritas range of chisels and noticed that it states in the description that the 1/4 and 3/8 inch varient comes with a 30deg primary bevel and the rest of the range is honed at 25deg, my question is should i hone my 1/4 and 3/8 inch chisels at 30deg or just have them all at 25deg?

I would keep them at 30 degrees. The idea of grinding at 25 and honing at 30 is so that only a small area has to be honed. With small chisels the entire bevel is just a small area so there is nothing to gain from using two bevels. Keeping the bevel at 30 degrees also gives a stronger edge.

+1 for grind at 25, hone at 30. As a general all-rounder, that works well in the commoner steels. The exotics (A2 etc) may prefer a slightly higher angle if chipping of the edge is a regular problem.

There are a couple of exceptions. For heavy chopping chisels (mortice chisels, etc) then something like grind at 30, hone at 35 gives a more lasting edge. At the opposite end of the spectrum, fine paring chisels that never see a mallet may perform better with a grind at 20 and hone at 25.

By the way - all angles are 'there or thereabouts'. A degree or two either way rarely makes much odds.

Cheshirechappie":25yxnxqi said:
+1 for grind at 25, hone at 30. As a general all-rounder, that works well in the commoner steels. The exotics (A2 etc) may prefer a slightly higher angle if chipping of the edge is a regular problem.

There are a couple of exceptions. For heavy chopping chisels (mortice chisels, etc) then something like grind at 30, hone at 35 gives a more lasting edge. At the opposite end of the spectrum, fine paring chisels that never see a mallet may perform better with a grind at 20 and hone at 25.

By the way - all angles are 'there or thereabouts'. A degree or two either way rarely makes much odds.
+1, with a couple of exceptions. I exclusively use Japanese chisels which have a single bevel of 30deg for those that are going to get thumped with a geno hammer and 25deg single bevel for those that are kept solely for hand paring only...dovetail and long handled paring chisels - Rob

Richard S":1vai3si8 said:
A "quesry", that must be a cross between a question and a query. :D
Yes actually a very handy new word - I think we should adopt it. Sometimes typos make good :)

RogerP":1556ydwm said:
Richard S":1556ydwm said:
A "quesry", that must be a cross between a question and a query. :D
Yes actually a very handy new word - I think we should adopt it. Sometimes typos make good :)
It was a deliberate error, I was just making sure you where all paying attention

Back